Thread: nectar flows?

Default nectar flows?

I live in southwest Virginia and am a new bee keeper. When are the nectar flows and what plants provide these flows for zone 7?

Default Re: nectar flows?

you should be into a honey flow right now. cant help with the plants but someone should answer.

bnm1000,

We are in the honey flow in SW Va. Right now the locust and wild Cherry bloom is winding down while blackberries and Tulip Poplers are blooming big time. White Clover is also really starting to bloom. There are a lot more peaking now also.

when will it be winding down?

Agree with Marshall except we're a little ahead of him here. The poplar is finished here and blackberries are about half way through. We have clover blooming but I haven't seen honeybees on that yet. I've seen them working boxwood and lagustrum (Privet) in my back yard. The flow here usually starts in mid - April and tapers off by the first week of June or so. Glorious Sourwood starts to bloom the second week of June and goes through mid-July. After that we're in a dearth until late August when Goldenrod starts to bloom. There isn't a lot of honey in Goldenrod but a lot of pollen. Goldenrod goes through to the first frost.

So far here we've been about two weeks ahead of the normal schedule. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Beesource is great! I appreciate everyones help.