Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migratory tops

Default Migratory tops

Does anyone use these exclusively? I am thinking about going that route to save some money. Pros vs Cons?

Default Re: Migratory tops

Quote Originally Posted by jdesq View Post
    Does anyone use these exclusively? I am thinking about going that route to save some money. Pros vs Cons?
    I think this is what Michael Bush uses on his top entry hives. I'm a new beekeeper of one year, but I like the thought of migratory covers for hive tops.

Pretty much every hive I have seen in North Florida uses migratory covers exclusively. The general consensus is that inner covers and telescoping tops provide more places for small hive beetles to hide and shouldn't be used.

Pros
    1. Easy to drill a hole and install external feed jars that can be monitored from a distance by sight, but which are accessible only from the interior of the hive unlike boardman feeders.
    2. Less space for hive beetle to hide.
    3. Cheaper.

Cons: Im sure there are some.

I started using them this year. All my new 8 frame hives will have them. On the hives that I installed 4 new packages this year, I cut 1-1/4" holes in the cover. I am using 2 gal paint buckets on top, for feeders. The two gal buckets are much heavier than the smaller sizes. The bees can come up through the hole and move around under the buckets lid, but they can't get out and other bees can't get in. You can see the syrup level through the bucket. Mann Lake sells 1-1/4" plastic push in plugs for $0.15 each. I can't take credit for this idea, since I read about it here on this forum.

I'm going to them exclusively for the reasons smoore & Risky Beesness listed. Primarily ease of feeding, less equipment, and cheaper cost. You can put a barrier between the tops of the frames and the cover to keep them from gluing the frames to the top. I just haven't worked out what I will be using for that yet.

The down side is less resistance to water getting into the hives, less insulation value in the winter, and less protection from the heat in the summer. These may or may not be a problem for you.

They will also not last as long unless you cover them with metal (aluminum flashing works well, as it does for telescoping covers).

Cheaper, easier, allows solid palleting, don't last as long, less protection. Your choice.

Peter

I make my own and they are even simpler than a typical one:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#make

Yes, that's pretty much all I have except a few telescopics and inner covers left over from before I converted to these and then expanded with these.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Migratory covers are also easy to make yourself with spare lumber and plywood and without precise saws

Michaels' look like some of my bottom boardss, which I no longer use being palletized. My covers are simply a piece of plywood the size of the top of the box. Not propped up or spaced by shims.

Many migratory covers I have seen on other beekeepers commercially run hives are made from shiplapped boards w/ a cleat front and back and shims on the long sides allowing extra space under the cover for pollen pattys. Sometimes they are more elaborate and are built using plywood or concrete form board material w/ a layer of foam insulation board sandwiched between plywood. Those covers seem to be tighter allowing less rain water into the hives and into the inside feeders.

Any cover will do. I have seen many things used to cover hives. Fiberglass STOP Signs, etc.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I made a handful of migratory feeding covers using Advantec flooring this spring. It doesn't need paint, won't absorb water, cuts wonderfully and is perfectly flat. Heavy enough to not need a stone unless you have a hurricane. Highly recommend this material for top covers.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Some of the disadvantages listed ignore the fact that feeder covers or inner covers are "legal" under migratory covers, covers can be made with a layer of insulation between wood, migratory covers can be constructed or covered with the same materials as telecscoping, and most bees propolize the cover sealing it down and from water intrusion. HDO and MDO go by many brand names. Either material is thick enough, stable enough, and weather resiistant enough to last a long time.
    In dealing with suppliers it would be best to get the names right - a migratory cover is solid, a feeder cover has a hole in the middle (sometimes 2 or 3smaller holes offset in queen castles)
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

If one used a migratory hive top and shimmed it for a top entry, ala Michael Bush, could you still use a boardman feeder on the lower most hive? If so, the bottom entry could be closed except for the boardman feeder, and it would greatly reduce the risk of robbing. I don't like the thought of having fluids above the bees. Really, I don't like the thought of feeding, but it can become necessary.

I haven't tried it, but would a used corrugated piece of plastic (old political signs) glued, stapled or nailed on top of your MT create a good heat and moisture barrier?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

>could you still use a boardman feeder on the lower most hive?

That depends on how bee tight the boardman is. Most of the ones I've seen lately are open on the bottom and do not seal up well at all. The old ones that were a metal top and bottom were pretty well sealed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That depends on how bee tight the boardman is. Most of the ones I've seen lately are open on the bottom and do not seal up well at all. The old ones that were a metal top and bottom were pretty well sealed.
    Strange, I've never seen one that wasn't totally sealed from the outside. No wonder they have a bad rep for robbing if thats how some people make them. I've also wondered about using a top entrance and and board man feeder, its seems like the best of both worlds to me.

But as to covers, I never saw a telescopic cover until I started looking at bees online. All the hives around me are migratory covers and have been so for many years. Didn't see screened bottom board either until I got online. At least the SBB seems to have a theory behind it, telescope covers just seem like a really expensive way to do a simple thing to me, and frankly, I think migratory covers look better.

I'd never heard of a migratory cover until I started reading about bees, just the opposite. My grandpa's hives all had telescoping covers, and they are typical here.

Peter

I'm always surprised by how region specific bee keeping is.

I can crank out a dozen migratory covers in a hour. So I go with them.

I saw them on all my mentors hives so I started making them also. I also make my own SBBs. I make the bottom have a 1" opening and have the top almost like Bush's except I also have a landing strip in the front. I don't really like the landing strip because when I put it back on I crush a few bees that are bearding over. I have a bottom entrance because I use a queen excluder and that is the only way that the drones can get out.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

I just made my first migratory tops using the brilliant Dan Coates nuc design. I simply doubled the width to make a couple deeps as well. With the outside cleats front and back under the migratory cover, and a slight 3/4" overhang on all 4 sides, will I still have to put a brick on top? I admit I hate all of the expense and weight of the telescoping tops, while still having to put a brick on top. They're just plain ugly.