Default Nice Swarm Caught in trap

Was walking near one of my swarm traps 100 yd from my bee yard and was very surprised to see a soccer ball clump of bees hanging on the underside of the trap. They were not going inside, bees were coming and going all to the hanging clump. I watch for several minutes. Figured I needed to move quick, if this was a staging area they could leave any time. Also the clump of bees looked too big for the 5 frame nuk so I figured they did not have enough room inside and they were sending scouts out for a new home.

Ran home got card board boxes, set up new 10 frame bee hive, sugar water...
    Sprayed them with a mist of sugar water, bumped the card board box on them and they started to fall in some flew and went back to the clump. After a few clumps fell in the box I could see fresh comb built on the underside of the swarm trap, two pieces almost as big as a dollar. I gather most of the bees in the box when again to my surprise there were a bunch of bees inside the box too. I took the bees I had and dumped them in the 10 frame put one frame of brood/eggs and put a feeder on them (they are drinking 1 qt in less than a day). I checked on the swarm trap and it has lots of traffic.

2 for the price of one

Default Re: Nice Swarm Caught in trap

Nice!

So you think you have a queen inside and a secondary swarm on the outside?

I think we are already past swarming season down here, but reading all these stories about catching swarms makes me want to try it that much more. My wife is convinced that I only need the one hive for now (she thinks the bees hate her), but I think she is starting to come around. Plus if I got it for free she would be more supportive. We are all about free things in my house! Despite having almost a dozen fish tanks, I know she always contemplates another if it's free. I suppose I can do the same thing!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brueggen View Post
    I think we are already past swarming season down here
    Well, I relocated one on Tuesday and got a call about another yesterday (though it had moved on by the time I called back). So maybe it's slowing down, but they're still around, at least in Clear Lake City area.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lowe View Post
    Nice!

So you think you have a queen inside and a secondary swarm on the outside?
    I think the queen went inside the box, and the bees on the outside were leftover cause the box was too full, which I hived and put a frame with eggs so they can make a queen, I will look for queen cells on the eggs that will tell me. and just hope the trap has a queen in it.