Default What to do with the extra deep first bar...

Hello,

Have a mess of comb due to some leveling/settling issues as well as this SUPER DEEP first comb because I violated bee space by leaving a candy board/frame in place once the bees had finished it out.

I know I have to get the comb sorted out and straight right away. Cut and clip and tie and sort. Got that. My question is what to do with this first bar. It's VERY deep. I am sure they have a lot invested in it in terms of stores and brood. It's virgin comb since I am foundationless and these are new hives. So, what would you all suggest I do with that first comb? Can I leave it in slot number 1 up against the front of the hive for a while and deal with it after they have built their numbers up? It's actually pretty straight...just very thick. I can always take it away later once they've built up a bit. I hate to move it to the back of the hive because it's still cold here at night and I think they will try to heat the brood and that will break the cluster up.

Would it be out of the question to leave it in slot one, up against the front of the hive and let them build straight out from there and remove it later after they've had some time to build up their numbers and get the queens going?

Thanks in advance.

Ne

Default Re: What to do with the extra deep first bar...

As long as it is not hindering any traffic, and is not crooked or crossed, I'd leave it. I don't see any harm there. Just keep an eye on it to make sure that everything else is building out correctly. Unless it causes other problems, I don't see any need to mess with it.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Tom,

Thanks. It's good on the back, just really thick on the front. I removed the empty candy board and put some spacers over the top of the front side of the bar and pushed it forward a bit and left it. I'll deal with it after addressing some other issues with cross comb further back in the hives.

Appreciate your reply.

Ne

I agree with Tom; as long as it's straight comb & removable/inspectable (for legal reasons), I'd leave it 'til you feel more need to remove it. Like you said, the bees have a lot invested there, why spoil it for them