Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Eating Unripe Honey

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rtoney 
#1 ·
Lately I've had to cut comb out of my TBH to fix cross combing. In doing so I've cut out some comb containing uncapped/unripe honey. Can I eat it? I know it's just modified nectar, but I wasn't sure how the natural bacteria that the bees put in the honey might affect me. Not sure if it has to mature or something. Maybe this is a silly question, but so far I have just been tossing all the comb in a tuperware in the freezer until I can melt it down for the wax later.

#3 ·
Is there an easy way to tell what level of fermentation it could be at? Or do I need special equipment. I would LOVE to make some mead, but I certainly don't have enough of the unripe honey to do that. I was just wondering if I could take what I do have and spread it on some toast.

Does freezing honey have any affect on it's properties (other than the whole frozen thing). If I were to put those combs back in the hive, would the bees be able to take that honey back and make use of it?

#5 ·
I think that is what I am going to do, just give it back to the bees. When I first cut it out, I took it out of the hive to prevent any potential robbing scenario. But I'd love to give it back to them now. I just posted a thread about it in the TBH forums. Check it out there and let me know. Thanks.

#8 ·
I just didn't want to take the risk of a robbery. No I only have the one hive, but it they were a package and I had just installed them a few weeks before I started having to cut out all the crooked comb. I'm sure they are strong enough now, I just didn't want to risk it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.