Default how do you store your drawn comb?

Just curious how you store your drawn comb? I went to a meeting last night and speakers said he keeps his on his back porch..open for air. I would be worried about wax months. He mentioned that the wax months usually go for the brood comb not so much honey comb. Your thoughts on this? Thank you in advance!

Default Re: how do you store your drawn comb?

Hes been lucky. Wax moths like dark so for a few days if you leave them out and in the light they will be fine. Actually I have never seen them attack open wax (where light was on it) as for brood comb only, hogwash. they are WAX worms and will attack supers. Drawn comp should be stored on the hive, over pararmoth (or simalar) or in the light which is still risky.

If you have only a few supers you may try BT Aizawai powder, you can purchase it from a poster named "Sundance" on this site. It works without fail. But if you have several thousand supers, put them on pallets outside in the fresh air, both have worked fine.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

Stonefly, how long does the bt last, once it is sprayed on the comb?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I freeze mine for 5days and then store in contractors trash bags tied tightly.

I've frozen-and-bagged before, but now I mostly just stack them, opposing each box, and check for moth larvae every couple months. I do have some BT but haven't gotten around to applying it. It's a great solution though.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I use the BT, & it works for over a year. You might get a couple wax larva in there but no real damage.
    We store them open on top, & bottom for ventilation.

You could make a frame to hang the frames from the rafters in you're garage, if you don't want to treat them, & don't have a walk in freezer to store them in.
    Dan

What if you live in a part of the country where it's frozen all winter long? Can you just stack them up?

if it stays frozen yeah you will have no problem. just watch them in the spring

Bush, if I remember right your namesake Michael Bush says put them over the hives until the first hard frost and then put them in an unheated storage area so they can freeze and refreeze.

>I remember right your namesake Michael Bush ...

Yes.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

How do you big operators store thousands of boxes?
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

I freeze the comb to kill any wax moth eggs or larvae. I then put in polystyrene boxes I get that have had broccoli in. The boxes moderate the temperature and are sealed.

What was out putting them in a semi sealed area? I have an old fridge in the backyard that is dry inside and all bleached out. I was thinking of storing them in that. Don't think anything can get in there once the door is shut, right? Didn't want to use electricity to cool it as that bill is already to high.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

They would have to be frozen a couple days first. The wax moth eggs are already on the frames, & will hatch.
    Personally I'd prefer to store them out in the open, where light & air can circulate through them.
    Dan

Yes, put them out in the open, sunlight and air. Put them on your pallets. The BT works for about a year as stated above. Fine for a few supers, but spraying 8000 frames is to time consuming and expensive. Ted had about 7000 supers on pallets out in the yard, no moths or larve noted.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

An old fridge/freezer is perfectly fine for storing comb. It is important to kill any moth (larvae/eggs) that exist on the comb, hence the freezing for 5 hours /a day. Threads I have read state that people have put comb in sealed plastic bags and the moth have eaten their way in. Moths do not have mandibles, they cannot eat their way in. The moths/larvae/eggs have been sealed in the plastic bag and the larvae have eaten there way out. How you do it also depends on the quantity that are to be stored. A fridge/freezer seals against robber bees, cockroaches and any other undesirable insects etc. I find the polystyrene boxes cheap, light, very stackable, hold 7-12 frames depending on the size of frames and boxes. If you alternate the frames ie upside down and offset, you get more frames in.