Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Questions about regular sweet clover

12K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Yucca Patrol 
#1 ·
If someone has some experience with planting and maintaining sweet clover( yellow or white, but not hubam) I would appreciate it if you could help me with some questions.
I know sweet clover is a bi-annual, but how early does it have to be planted in order to bloom the following year?
Will it keep coming back year after year and blooming? I don't mind sacrificing one year to get it established, but I would hate for the field to have nothing blooming in it every other year.
What do you do to maintain the field? I don't mind spraying to keep competition down.

I have some experience with white dutch clover and with crimson, but not much with sweet clover. I am doing an experiment with hubam this year because I like the idea of it being an annual. I've been a little dissappointed with it's growth but maybe I'm just impatient, or maybe it just needs more rain, as we have had a dry spring. Either way it is going to have to grow quick over the next couple of months to do what it is supposed to do.

#2 ·
I think any time in the early part of the summer is fine, even later in the summer is possible but it typically gets dryer and hotter later. The key component is having enough moisture to get it properly established then having just enough moisture to maintain it through the fall. If it is in a heavily grazed pasture it will suffer as well.

#5 ·
I am on my 3rd yr of sweet yellow in my barnyard ( heavy gray clay) after intial sowing in August , had plenty of rain that year , it has come back fine on its own . I prefer the white dutch though , because I believe when it is dry ( like now in my area) the florets hold the nectar alot longer than yellow JMHO

#6 ·
If you plant sweet clover, I would suggest you mix white blossom sweet and yellow blossom sweet about 50-50. The white blossom is about 2 weeks later to bloom than the yellow giving you nearly twice the bloom time. At least that is what I do and it seems to give a much extended time for the ladies to do their thing.

#7 ·
I recently read that white dutch clover will continue to bloom each year after the year you planted it.

Due to dog traffic and my general dislike of lawns, I spread five pounds of white dutch clover around my back yard this spring. Now all the bare patches are pleasingly covered with a nice carpet of clover. I've found a seed company that sells a flowering lawn mix of various small clovers and other low growing flowering ground covers that I will be planting next year. I love the idea of a low maintenance lawn that will look great and feed my bees.

#8 ·
We grow white dutch clover, sainfoin, alfalfa, and sweet clover for bee pasture. All have some problems. White dutch dies out after about 4 years if you do not let it seed itself. We harvested some of ours for rabbit hay. So know I am replannting some of it. Our sweet clover is like a weed. It comes back very well. The only time I have had problems with it coming back is when the blooming crop is so thick that it shades out the first year plants. I have a patch of sainfoin that I am afraid the sweet clover is going to out compete it. Many consider sweet clover a weed, and definately do not like to see it planted. In our alkalin soils I think once the seed is there it will always be there. Changing crops on the ground would require planting a crop that will with stand broad leaf herbicides, or roundup.
Dave

#9 ·
Ok, I claim complete ignorance on this. I direct sowed 25 lbs of yellow sweet clover this spring. It has sprouted and is growing fine.
This plant is a biennial so I do not expect blooms this year.

My question is if the clover I planted this year will bloom in the third year from it reseeding itself next fall?? OR do I need to plant again next spring to insure every year has blooming.

Call me stupid but someone please enlighten me.

#16 ·
I bought 5 pounds of White Dutch Clover to spread in my back yard and a wild meadow area behind it from Universal Seed in Birmingham Alabama. It was coated seed and cost about $2.50 per pound. I don't know if they ship since I just went there and picked it up. I believe they had other kinds of clover seed too.

#11 ·
Ok, I claim complete ignorance on this. I direct sowed 25 lbs of yellow sweet clover this spring. It has sprouted and is growing fine.
This plant is a biennial so I do not expect blooms this year.

My question is if the clover I planted this year will bloom in the third year from it reseeding itself next fall?? OR do I need to plant again next spring to insure every year has blooming.

Call me stupid but someone please enlighten me.

That is a good question, by all means not 'stupid'.

:)

#12 ·
In theory you would need to plant the sweet clover for two consecutive years, but if you plant heavy the first year and the seed is fresh, there will be enough dormant seed for a good crop of seedlings the second year. To be on the safe side plant it two years in a row.
Dave

#15 ·
I work the soil in July early & again later in the month to cut down on the weeds. Then i plant the first part of Augest. It blooms the next year. Then when the bloom is gone i start over again. In my experince if you let it reseed itself it will be a spotty crop, the seed can lay dormant for up to 30 years. Your area may be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.