Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Slatted Racks?

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  the kid 
#1 ·
Is it worth the time to use them, Build them or Buy them?

#5 ·
I made and use about 20, need to make more. They're easy enough to make. I don't know that I'd buy any, because the benefits are not all that obvious. Main benefit I see is to reduce bearding. It seems that they also draw the comb completely to the bottom front with the rack there.
Regards,
Steven

#8 ·
A SBB doesn't create cluster space inside the hive below the brood nest. A SBB doesn't baffle the draft coming in to allow ventilation while at the same time controlling that ventilation. Unless you put it on a SBB or add some screen to the bottom the Slatted rack has a lot LESS ventilation.

#10 ·
>So is it you do not use SBB with Slatted rack
or use both at the same time

I have used it with a slatted rack. I've also covered the bottom of the slatted rack in #8 hardware cloth and and skipped the SBB. I've also used the slatted rack with a solid bottom board. I'm just pointing out the differences.

#11 ·
1/2 my 25 hives have slatted racks over SBB. All my hives have SBB. I have to admit that I am a fan of the slatted rack. During strong honey flows, the queen lays all the way to the bottom of the frame. Therefore, more bees will be in the hive. I try to be objective but the slatted rack hives do just appear stronger. This showed, especially this spring, when it came to making splits and selling nucs. Most of the slatted rack hives built up a little quicker so I could make stronger 3 and 4 frame splits for selling 5 frame nucs. Will I buy slatted racks for every hive? Nope. Too expensive. One might say they would pay for themselves via nuc sales. I've thought of that. But, truth be told, the slatted rack doesn't afford me to actually sell more nucs, just stonger earlier nucs. Will I buy them when there's a sweet deal on them? Yep.

#12 ·
The only problem I see with using the slatted rack with the SBB is that if you use the SBB for mite control the mites may tumble on to the slatted rack and go right back on the bees. But as my other thread going on in equipment suggests I dont think SBB are all that effective with natural mite drop anyway.

#18 ·
My bees don't think that. I have SR's on many hives and my bees are certainly not swarm free. I just like the comforting homey feel SR's give me, and they make for good Fung Shei, which requires domiciles to have an entrance foyer.

The main door is called "The Mouth of Chi" in feng shui, as this is how the house absorbs its much needed Chi, or energy nourishment. When a staircase is facing the main door directly, the feng shui energy rushes up quickly to either the lower, or the higher floor, thus leaving the main floor without feng shui energy nourishment.

So, yes, your friend is mostly right. However, this is a very general feng shui statement as there are different variations of a staircase facing the front door, thus creating different feng shui scenarios.

The feng shui case of a big foyer with many grounding architectural features and the staircase far from the front door will be very different from a feng shui case of a small foyer with stairs closely facing the main door.

In case of a big foyer with a staircase further from the door, the energy can settle in and nourish the space, gradually and harmoniously finding its way to other areas of the house. When the foyer is small, though, and the staircase is facing the main door directly, the energy takes a rushed and fragmented quality, being forced to quickly rush up or down the stairs.

The feng shui cures in these cases are focused on creating a feng shui decorating style at the main door that will slow down the energy, focus it and then guide it to all areas of the main floor. This can be achieved with strategically placed art, specific colors, a big plant or a vase of flowers, specific pieces of furniture or mirrors (please note that mirrors should never face the entrance directly, as this pushes the energy away instead of drawing it in.)

#20 ·
There are clickable links to help illiterates comprehend what is being discussed. Practitioners would approve of using a slatted rack so that the bees do not enter directly into the combination pantry, bedroom, nursery, living room and bedroom.

"What is Feng Shui? This is a simple question that can be difficult to answer. Feng Shui is an ancient art and science developed over 3,000 years ago in China. It is a complex body of knowledge that reveals how to balance the energies of any given space to assure the health and good fortune for people (bees) inhabiting it."

#23 ·
There are clickable links to help illiterates comprehend what is being discussed. Practitioners would approve of using a slatted rack so that the bees do not enter directly into the combination pantry, bedroom, nursery, living room and bedroom.

I have found that the ones that have to use the big words know only how to use the words ( seldom the full meaning ) and only use the big words to bring attention to them self ,, and to make it look like they are highly educated
and go through life thinking there better then all others because they know BIG WORDS ,,and is keeping his or her dull life hidden ..

there for I feel they are the illiterates ,, but this is only MHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.