Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nicot System Problem

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  MikeTheBeekeeper 
#1 ·
I placed the queen inside the box where she lays. A day later, I got the eggs, put them in a top bar frame and put the top bar frame into a queenless hive.

A day after that, I noticed there were only 3 eggs remaining on the top bar frame, and bees were starting to make a queen cell around them. I went through the hive and noticed there were exactly 7 queen cells on other frames...

Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Mike

#2 ·
Well, to start with the instructions say to wait 72 hours. Secondly, they will remove eggs in the cell builder, but will not remove larvae.

But even after 72 hours I still had only eggs and not hatched larvae in my Nicot cage. I think that bees remove eggs from the cups, and the queen lays again in them although I have nothing to substiate it with, other than a bunch of unhatched eggs after 72 hours. I thought that maybe removing the queen from the cage might let the eggs hatch untouched, but I think Mike Bush mentioned that the cage without the queen is of little interest to bees, so they will abandon the eggs. I appologize if I misquoted.

I ended up just using chinese instrument and grafting the larvae into the cups. I mostly care about the haircurler cages in this system.

#3 ·
I use the NICOT system. You placed the eggs into the cell builder too fast. Once you notice eggs, let the queen loose and come back 48 hours later. Look in the cups and see if there is a dab of royal jelly in the bottom. If there is, then the cell builder hive will turn them into queen cells. If you place eggs with no royal jelly, the cell builder hive will haul the eggs out. PM me and I will send you an Excel calendar on times to do each step.

#8 ·
I get my Jenter (don't have a Nicot) to work quite well if I transfer larvae, but I have not had any luck with eggs. Alley seemed to think you could get them to do it from the egg and I assume he has some success since he reared a lot of queens and claimed that was his method and yet he used the description "grub or egg".

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesalleymethod.htm#prepare_for_queen-cells

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.