Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Suggestions anyone?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rtoney 
#1 ·
HI All, I have done my second cutout and it has been a nightmare from the start. It is in the wall of an old church converted to a home. I finally get all the comb out and the visible bees vacuumed only to discover the next stud over has comb and a seemingly endless supply of bees. The problem is it is behind a chimney and not accessible from inside or out. I don't think I could get the vacuum much past the entrance either. What would you do? Thanks.

Tom

#3 ·
Sorry not currently. The space in question is behind wood siding. At some point the (brick) chimney seemingly transitions into the wall and there is no siding below that area. Im not sure i can get any good ones but I will see what i can do by the weekend. At this point I just vacuum what I can... Ill call the owner and see if he can get me some good shots in the meantime also.

#4 ·
Without actuallly seeing what's going on it's hard to offer advice. I do have one kind of general suggestion. You could set up the vacuum on one side of the cavity and then use a blower on the other side, kind of set up a situation where all the air leads to the vacuum. That will get the bulk of the bees, hopefully you will get the queen then the others will just follow her out. Of course you would still have bees stay with the brood comb, that will be the hard part. You may have to increase temperature somehow (fire in fireplace?) or maybe just a small heater. Wax will melt out taking brood with it. Wax residue left behind is actually not bad for wood structure. If you do this, keep an extuingisher on hand and several buckets of water and a hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.