Default Two clusters in new hive

Hi All,
    This is my first time trying a top bar hive. I just installed a package on Saturday into a new hive. I attached a small amount of comb to from one of my Lang's that I was experimenting with a frame with no foundation. (it's the 2nd bar in if that matters) When I looked through the observation window this morning I see two clusters of bees, one at the front of the hive where the comb is, and one at the back by the follower board (10 frames in.) I just want to know if this is normal. It makes me wonder if I have two queens and they are peacefully sharing space. I expected them to all be in one cluster together.

Default Re: Two clusters in new hive

Mine did the same thing when I installed from a nuc, by the end of the second day when I checked on them they had all clustered together near the entrance.

DSCF6419.jpg

Good to know. Thanks!

Where did you put the queen cage?
    Can you seen any festooning and comb building near the follower board?

Originally I had her on the 2nd bar with the comb, but I released her on Sunday. (compromising between Michael Bush's immediate release advice and the "normal" 3 day wait)
    I don't see any festooning or comb building with either cluster but they are really in the way to be able to see much.
    I tried to take a pic but the glare on the window is pretty bad.
    Last edited by beehugger; 05-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Ok, 4 weeks later and I have another question. The two clusters finally joined up into one about a week later, but it was the front cluster joining with the back. I have 9 very nice combs back by the follower board, and 4 smaller ones they left at the front with two empty bars as well. From everything I've read, the brood should comb should be nearer to the front. Should I push the back bars closer to the front and move the empty front comb to the back, or should I figure they know what they are doing and leave them alone? I don't know why the second cluster started at the back and came forward instead of the other way around.