Default How to Move From Trap to Hive

Hey all. I just trapped my first swarm today. They moved into my swarm trap about 8ft up in a tree. I do have some foundationless medium frames in the trap with waxed guide bars, so hopefully they are building some comb. How long do you think I should leave them there before transferring them to a regular hive body. Also, would you try to cage the queen during this process? Or just transfer all the frames and be done?
    These are my first bees! And the funny thing is I'm getting two splits l ordered later this week. I didn't really beleave my swarm traps would work!
    Thanks for any answers you can provide.
    Joe B

Default Re: How to Move From Trap to Hive

What exactly is your trap? a medium super? a nuc box?

I would wait at least long enough to see brood, then move carefully to a longer term container.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

the trap is a nuc box, I just have a few medium frames in it. I plan on using medium equipment.
    Also, I went over this morning and there was a softball size ball of bees on the ground near the trap up on the post. I put another NUC box with frames and LGO next to them and they all went in. I would ask my mentor . What's going on here? I would ask my mentor, but he's on vacation!!!!!

I stack nuc boxes (when I use them, small swarms) until they are four tall, then I move to two D-10s. I feed any swarms I catch until they are well established, &/or ready for honey supers.

I would be patient, give them plenty of room, wait till you see brood. (they will not abandon brood) THEN transfer. I also staple Queen excluder to bottom board to keep queen in. Not a good idea if you have a virgin queen. If they don't like your container they will abscond. good comb, lots of room, that's unlikely. beeee patient. I only feed & watch swarms for a week or two. I don't disturb them unless I'm adding a super as I did today, because swarm was too big for single D10.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!