Default Year 2 - installing a second colony of Russian honey bees.

Let me know what think and feel free to critique.
    Episode-88- The Honey Bees In My Back Yard Just Got New Neighbors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cEEXGVutQ
    http://todolisthome.com/
    Tony Teolis

Default Re: Year 2 - installing a second colony of Russian honey bees.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong in your video. I don't use pollen patties myself as there is plenty of natural pollen available in my area this time of year. The location of the camera made it hard to see what you were doing to the package - ie removing the lid, syrup can etc. Without someone operating the camera it is hard to get that kind of detailed shot.

So what you have is a nice basic video about installing a package - I didn't see anything in it about Russian bees - what you hope to accomplish with your Russians - and what type of "neighbors" they are likely to be for your existing colonies. There is a recent thread on Honey-B-Healthy and I encourage you to read and ponder it.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Andrew,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply and recommendations. I'll keep these in mind with future vids. I like the video making process because it has helped me keep good documentation over the past year. I look forward to getting better. Thanks for the Hony B healthy tip.

Nice video Tony. This will be a helpful educational tool for someone who will be installing a package for the first time. You covered all the basics and gave a good visual of the process.

I agree with Andrew, next time around you may want to zoom in a little closer and bring the package up higher on a table or platform right next to the hive so you can clearly see how you're removing the cover, queen cage, etc.

Nice job!
    To everything there is a season....

Thank you for the nice reply Mike. I am working on this and I do feel the need to share with others so that the art of beekeeping can spread easier. Your advice will be followed.