Default Fast cut comb production

My plan is to take nice strong hive with capped supers on it, add a shallow super of new wax foundation and feed them straight freshly extracted honey. How long do you think it will take them to draw it out?
    I want some really clean nice comb

Default Re: Fast cut comb production

That's cheating.

If you want "THE BEST" cut comb, let them build the comb themselves, ie. foundationless frames above an excluder, and let them do it ALL themselves from nectar.

Mbeck, I don't know, but would you please report back how long it takes and the strength of the hive that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    That's cheating.
    Most of what we do could be labeled cheating. We have a guy here that puts swarm traps all over town trying to catch other people's bees....now that is cheating!

Can you define best?

We have a double deep hive of Italians that we added a medium super with undrawn plasticell foundation on a few weeks ago. After an inspection 10 days ago, we found that super to be mostly full of comb and full of honey with 70% of it capped so we decided to try another med super with foundationless frames. We inspected that one last night and found that super already 80% or better combed out and full of honey with some already capped ! WOW ! This hive is one of our stronger hives out of four but the rest are doing well also. Just pointing out how fast they can fill a med super with new frames ( with or without foundation ) without comb yet when the nectar flow is on. Jim

Smile Re: Fast cut comb production

....also, we don't use excluders on our hives per our veteran mentor and so far , so good ! He said it would speed production.

By cheating I think he means "natural". I think you will find that they will draw comb much faster on nectar than honey. That is the reason when getting a swarm or new package to draw comb we feed them thin syrup. I would remove the capped supers, crowd the bees and give them no choice but to draw your comb honey. I would also forget the foundation and just let them draw it alone, they will draw it much faster. They do not like empty space.

I am assuming the honey you are feeding is yours and you know that it is disease free.