Default Question about Queenless Hive and Nuc

It is a long story on how I got to this point this is what I have.....

A Hive that hasn't had any eggs in it for over a month besides the eggs that I put in from another Hive.

The NUC was an attempt to save a queen that was dying. She took for a day or so, but has since disappeared. and has been Queenless for the past 2 weeks.

I am goign to pick up a new Queen. I would like to combined the hive and NUC to form a stronger Hive. Can I just put them together since they are both Queenless or do I have to do the news paper method???

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Question about Queenless Hive and Nuc

When a queen is lost they start with a four day old larvae (from the day the egg was laid) and that will emerge 12 days later and start laying 2 to 3 weeks after that which would be 26 to 33 days. My bet is they have a queen who will be laying any day now.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: Question about Queenless Hive and Nuc

Well I would think that as well, but they have started building Queen Cells again. They stopped during the portion that where they has a virgin running around. The NUC is really small and had a Marked Queen that was not in good condition when put in the NUC.

I am going to wait since the weather is going to be poor the next few days and I will be tied up with work. I will check them on Sunday and if I am queenless (by then should be long enough for the queen to have mated and settled down).

How would I combined the Queenless Hive and Queenless NUC?

When can I add a mated Queen in a cage?