Default My Captured Swarm - Split (as in left). What probably happened?

I found a swarm next to one of my hives - the strongest of the two I have. Low in a tree about 15 yards from the original hive. Took a new outfit - bottom board, body, 10 frames - dropped them in with a good shake. Everything seemed to go perfectly. Bees immediately started fanning - some on the grass walked up in the box. I didn't leave the box there - but picked it up and immediately put it on the stand next to the original hive (only available spot). I figured the proximity wouldn't matter - put a small branch near the entrance which I reduced. I put a frame of honey and pollen in as well to help them begin building - but we have flow on, so I didn't worry about food too much.

Today I go back - thinking they'd have drawn out a little comb and be on their way. But they'd left - nothing but a bunch of black ants enjoying that honey. I couldn't believe it.

Was it most likely that I didn't get the queen? Almost all bees fell in, but maybe the key word is "almost." Or was my moving the box so quickly the error - or placing next to the original hive?

Another question: In terms of what I call the original hive - I see queen cells hatched - and my understanding is I should see eggs in 14-20 days if good weather (it's been pretty good up here in Pittsburgh).

Thanks in advance -

jim

Default Re: My Captured Swarm - Split (as in left). What probably happened?

You may have hived them too soon.. I've heard of fresh swarms leaving after bring hived.
    Or its possible you did miss the queen..
    Or... The ants may have ran them off...

it helps if you have some swarm lure on hand or lemon grass oil to put that in the new hive with them...
    It my be overkill but thats what I do and i haven't had a swarm leave yet..

But yes you should start seeing eggs in a couple weeks assuming the queen gets out and mates well...

I staple a plastic queen excluder to a bottom board so that if the queen makes it into the box she can't get out.
    I'll wait a week or two, then pull the excluder depending on whether or not thev've settled in (brood). I have caught three in the last week.
    Ten swarms in last two years, I haven't had any abscond. Some didn't make it, most are doing outstandingly.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    I staple a plastic queen excluder to a bottom board so that if the queen makes it into the box she can't get out.
    I'll wait a week or two, then pull the excluder depending on whether or not thev've settled in (brood). I have caught three in the last week.
    Ten swarms in last two years, I haven't had any abscond. Some didn't make it, most are doing outstandingly.
    Thanks for the thoughts - on this - I'm not sure I understand. I used a screened bottom board - so I don't think she could get out. How does the queen excluder play into it?

Thanks again -

I had a swarm abscond too. I have started putting brood in with swarms. Apparently this helps keep them in place. The queen excluder in lakebilly's post is over the entrance. I have never done this, but you can also reduce the entrance with grass. The bees will eventually clean the grass out of the entrance, but the colony will be established.

Ted