Default Dead Queen laying at enterance

I installed 3 #4 packages on April 27. On May 2 I did a quick inspection and pulled the queen cages. All seemed good. Building good comb and saw queen on 2 out of the 3 hives. This morning I walked out in preparation to do a full hive examine (first nice day id be abe to examine) to see if queens are laying. Unfortuantley I found a dead queen outside the entrance. I do have one other hive that is producing well. If I pull one frame of eggs and put it in that hive for them to make emergency queen cells, I assume I shake off all the bees on that frame before transferring? How long can it be exposed to outside air if it is 60 degrees out? when is the next time I should open it? Or is there any better ways of doing this besides buying another caged queen. Thank you

Default Re: Dead Queen laying at enterance

First I would see if there was any egg laid. Its possible there was an extra queen in the package. Also look for queen cells. The queen could have laid egg and some reason died. You could leave the qc in and let them produce a queen from the one that is dead. But I wouldnt. This is what i would do then. I would take a frame that had fresh egg with capped brood and put it in the queen less hive. Also shake a couple frames of bees in there if they are looking a little low.

Second option is to buy a queen. This would be the best way and you wouldnt loss that time you had to rear a queen

I'd try contacting the package supplier first (well, after checking to verify that the hive was indeed queenless), they'll often offer you a free, or highly discounted, replacement if a package queen doesn't "take."

I did a hive inspection did not find another queen. I did see queen cups though. I didn't see anything in them but maybe I didn't look close enough. Would they create them if there was no eggs. Probably about 10 total.

if they're building Q cells, there are larvae (not just eggs) in them....however, if they're just queen cups (there's a difference, sortof), then there may not be eggs in them. Since there's a dead queen, and those, I'm gonna call them Queen Cells, and Emergency cells at that, confirming you're most likely queenless, time to contact the supplier about a replacement queen IMHO.

Thanks I'm afraid what you have said is the case.

So my supplier was kind enough to give me another caged queen. Tonight before I inserted the caged queen I looked over the frames and the queen cups again. To my surprise I did see larva in them so apparently they were creating queen cells. I should have looked closer yesterday I guess. Anyhow I destroyed them so they would be willing to accept this new queen. I plan on leaving the cork in the cage for a few days. Then reinspect there behavior before releasing her or adding a marshmallow. I think having the breed queen will be the better choice over letting them raise a queen. I assume the dead queen either died shortly after starting to lay or was killed from poor performance. Wish I new.

I'm not sure why the old one died...they don't usually kill the queen until another one emerges...anywise, yes, the bred queen is FASTER than leeting them raise one of their own. Normally I'd recommend letting them raise their own queen, but you have bees that are aging (and dying) more by the day, so waiting 2-3 weeks for them to raise a new queen, for her to mate, then for her to lay would not be a good idea. 3 days for a caged queen to be released & start laying is much preferable with a package.