Default What do you all do with them?

All,
    This is my first year trapping swarm and three out of my five traps have been successful, plus I caught a swarm off a branch, about thirty feet up, and made several splits off my own hives. So, my dilemma is this I am now out of equipment and don’t think I want to invest in anymore; so I have pulled a couple traps that I had further away but will put two or three back up closer to home. Now for the question. For you all that are successful what do you do with all the bees? Keep’em, Sell’em or just give them away to a fellow beek?
    Happy beekeeping
    Split’Limb

Default Re: What do you all do with them?

Keep’em, Sell’em or just give them away to a fellow beek?
    Sounds like a plan, there is always some one looking so mabee you can help someone that cant afford any more.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

See if any of your friends have any equipment you can get reasonable, Or sell one or more , use those funds to buy yourself more equipment.

If you sell them reasonably, you get some money, they get a good deal, the Environment gets more bees, Everybody wins.

cchoganjr

Our bee club is about 50% "newbees" that could certainly use some bees. Check around you club and friends. If you have nucs let them build up and once you are sure you have a good queen and healthy bees you can post an ad in the for sale section here and they will be snapped up.

PS: I am in the same boat! Been out on a swarm call every night for that last 7 days and I've passes several along to others. I am out of nucs and boxes to put them in and I suspect the swarm season will continue for several more weeks.

That's one of the nice things about the top bar. 30.00 in materal and a couple hours work and you have a new hive ready to go. I just picked up a swarm put it in my empty hive went to Lowe's with the money I made and bought wood for the next. As for not wanting the bees some one will take them.

You can also combine smaller swarms together to make one large hive.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I combined one of the swarms with a split that I made that was a little slow at building up. The other two I have put into hive bodies and letting them do their thing.

Thanks to all,
    Split'limb