Default Coating of board below SBB

I read somewhere on this website that vegetable oil was not a good thing to use below the SBB because racoons like it and may disturb the hive. In another place I see a mixture of baby oil and vaseline recommended. Well, I mixed up a batch and it smells like a freshly cleaned baby's butt. I would expect that, but the odor is stronger than I expected and I am concerned the bees may find it objectional and leave. Any comments as to whether or not to use this stuff?

Ed

Default Re: Coating of board below SBB

Give it a try. Coons harming a hive over some veggie oil seems a little farfetched; I'd go ahead and use it until and unless you have a problem. I have used a spray can of olive oil for years in a coon-dense area and have never had an issue. But go ahead ad try your oil; you'll only be leaving it on a couple days anyways. If they are fanning or roaring you'll know they don't like it and you can go back to Crisco
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

If you want an odorless coating, use just mineral oil. Ants and other problem animals will not be attracted to it.

Thank you gentlemen. Good information. It is amazing how the internet allows the transfer of knowledge !! I can learn in a week what would have taken a year 20 years ago.

Thanks,

Ed