Default 1st trap-out of a bee tree???

Today i added a frame of open brood to a hogan style trap-out box, have had hive body attached for a wk, with 5 frames of drawn comb. they have really cleaned it but they haven't added any pollen or nectar. there seems to be a lot of bees in the tree. the frames had alot of bees working the comb. My real question is about drones in a ferel colonie, I saw alot of them today, i mean alot in comarision to the workers /cleaners/ house/ guards, ect. maybe half were drones??what does this mean about the queen? Is she going tobe a drone laying queen, will they have aproblem that i don't know about? I am leaving them until monday evening then retturning to get the first hive, and add more drawn frames and another frame of brood. Any suggestions or comment would help me, still trying to learn. think i'm becoming addicted to bees. lol what do you think, Mr. Hogan would like to hear your thoughts? thanks to all others comments as well.

Default Re: 1st trap-out of a bee tree???

The open brood is the key here. Keeping open brood in the box will draw out the nursery or house bees. You will notice a big difference when you go back in the box in about a week.The bees will be working the box.After a while, just start taking frames of bees out, always keeping open brood in the box.

Lots of drones this time of year is quite normal. Queens lay lots of drone eggs in Spring, to increase the population of drones needed for mating after swarms. There are almost no drones in the hive that make it through the Winter. I would be concerned if it was late june, early July, and the queen was laying lots of drone eggs, but not now. I would not be concerned.

My rule of thumb on numbers of bees is, first trapping, 3 - 5 pounds in 24-36 hours. That indicates a hive that is sufficiently built up to trap. On the second trapping, 3 to 5 pounds in 36 to 48 hours. Less than that, let it grow, even if it means letting the queen enter the trap, lay, and return to the feral colony. Don't pull the colony down too much. Waxworms aren't bad here in Kentucky yet (about 1 July they will be bad) but a weakened colony is vunerable to small hive beetles.

cchoganjr

thank you guys very much. just trying to stay on track.Do you think that 48 hrs is good for the first trap? put the brood in about 230 today. can't go back till monday afternoon. but I would like to come and visit with you Mr. Hogan tomorrow evening if that would be possibile?