Thread: no eggs yet?

Default no eggs yet?

Caught a swarm 4/26/12 and put them in a nuc. Checked today, no eggs or larva but they are loading up on nectar, bringing in pollen and are not mean. I'm terrible at finding a queen. Kind of hard to believe it was a virgin queen due to date swarmed but what do I know. How long should I wait to see if there is a laying queen in the hive? Don't want to get into the laying worker problem. Game plan is to buy a queen real soon because I don't want to wait for them to make a new queen. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: no eggs yet?

How big of swarm was it? If small, it may have been a secondary swarm with a virgin queen.

I would say about soccerball size.

Give it one more week. If you can give then a frame with eggs from another hive it will help.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Give it one more week. If you can give then a frame with eggs from another hive it will help.
    I agree wtih Dan! If you give them a frame of eggs as soon as possible, and they are queenless, they will start the will draw out queen cells.

>4/26/12

Well if it's a virgin queen it could be two to three weeks from then, which would be May between the 10th and the 17th. A frame of eggs is always good insurance.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF