Default How hot is too hot?

New comb, heavy with bees and brood. Very delicate. At what temp. should I forget about working the hive? - Mike

Default Re: How hot is too hot?

150 degrees Fahrenheit

what I mean to say is, Here in the desert our major honey flow comes in the dead of the summer with average temperatures at 110-115. And , although we try and get done before noon on most days it is still very very hot. If you need to work them, work them.

Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    New comb, heavy with bees and brood. Very delicate. At what temp. should I forget about working the hive? - Mike
    You may find this useful:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

Question: How can you have too much ventilation? Isn't ventilation a good thing?
    Answer: Of course in the winter, too much ventilation means too much heat loss. But even in the summer the bees are cooling the hive by evaporation, so on a hot day the inside of the hive may be cooler than the outside air. So too much ventilation could result in the bees being unable to maintain a cooler temperature inside. When wax heats up past the normal operating temperatures of a hive (> 93 F) it gets very weak and combs can collapse.
    Above 93 degrees, this beekeeper is not motivated to suit up, and looks for something else to do.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    You may find this useful:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

Above 93 degrees, this beekeeper is not motivated to suit up, and looks for something else to do.
    thanks - I'll go with that; interesting about the ventilation; brings into question the need for a screened bottom board for ventilation. - Mike

Hey Mike
    I'd suggest doing a search for old threads about screened bottoms. There's a lot of cons with them in TBHs.