Re: Making my own queen
Can't comment on climate but I do know people often change queens when it's not nessecary.
However, to answer your questions, I'm assuming you are talking about introducing an about to hatch queen cell? Personally I would recommend a mated caged queen, because virgins from introduced bought queen cells normally have around a 75% mating success rate, the other 25% dissappear for one reason or another leaving your hive queenless.
But if you do introduce a queen cell, the instructions are the same as for a langstroth. Just press it gently into a comb in the middle of a brood area, the reason being so it will be kept at the right temperature until it hatches. It should be in the natural position, ie, pointing downwards. Some people use cell protectors, me, I never bother. If you leave your hive queenless 24 hours before introducing the cell there should be no problems with the bees tearing the cell down.
44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).