Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Frame In Honey Super Extractor?

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
At 4 mins 6 seconds in this youtube video, there is a honey extractor. It is an extractor that extracts honey with frames in the honey supers. To me this looks very easy to make and makes sense. That said, perhaps there is something I am not thinking about that would be a problem. Has anyone seen one of these? Any experiance using one? What are they called? Know where I could buy one or get plans to build one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44o5cs2jac

#2 ·
Looks like a regular, but large, extractor. I've never seen anyone extract that way, but I can see that it would mean handling frames fewer times by hand. Which is an imprtant labor/cost savings when you have as much honey to handle as Captain Cook must have.

I have some friends who have lived in Hawaii and worked for Kona Queens. Mayb e I will ask them if they had any experience w/ Captain Cook's.

#3 ·
That would be great! I am not sure if they purchased it or built it. I have a hackler honey punch on order. My thought was, I could set up a super holder, pull up the frame, pop the cappings open and toss the whole box into the extractor. When one considers the one in this video holds 120 frames, making one might be the way to go compared to spending 30,000 dollars on a 120 extractor.

I'd love to know what you find out.

#6 ·
Funny! I just discovered Jim Powers from Idaho made these in the 70's! I talked to an ownere of one of these. He loves the extractor and recently tried one of the big 30,000 plus thousand dollar extractors and sent it back as it didn't work as well. He did mention that the frames are special frames design to not collapse in on the others when extracting.

#7 ·
I was just going to post that powers used this system back in the 70's. their biggest concern was lead paint flakes from the supers getting into the honey. the end bars of the frames were one width. (just a rectangle block of wood. they were running about 30,000 hives at the time so it may not be very practical for a small beekeeper.

#9 ·
if you coated the hive in Linseed oil or something like that(like I do) then it would solve that. Interesting using the open bottoms like that. Does look like a good commercial way to do things. And when you're done you just have the bees clean things up and recycle the honey leftover.

#12 ·
Great idea MrHappy! I did notice they actually put the tops toward the outside. I laughed when I caught it, but the young gal picks up a super that had already been extracted. She asks, "This way". He responds, "that will work". I worked because they weren't extracting her box just making a video. The box he put in, was placed in proper. It makes sense to have the top of the frames toward the outside due to the slant of the honey comb. I noticed they have bars on the extractor to hold the frames in the box. I figure even building one the material costs might be 1,000-1,500 dollars. That's much better the 30-40 thousand. I only have 40 hives so far, but hope to have 100 soon and 400 in a couple years. When I figured out the time of extracting all my honey from just 100 boxes, I knew I'd best be figuring out something. I don't mind hard work, but I don't like to waste time and have know desire to use a small extractor to process 6-10 thousand lbs of honey.

Glad we all have a place to pass ideas around.

#14 ·
I also bet that buying an extractor and using it the way it is designed to be used, putting individual frames into slots in the reel, will prove easier on your back over time than lifting a full deep or medium super of honey and placing it inside of a tank. One hundred hives wouldn't justify extracting in the manner illustrated in the video.

#19 ·
I am with Mark and odfrank on this one. They are still removing the frames for uncapping. There has to be some honey on the outside of the supers, and placing them back into the apiary would set off a frenzy.

One additional point.... What about possibility of lead based paint on the older hives, what about bird poop, What about where skunks, *****, other animals that climb on the hives trying to get to the honey, what about dirt and dust from the trip from the apiary to the honey house, what about insecticides and pesticides, that may have been sprayed near the hives??? All of this is on the outside of hives. We are going to be eating that too. Frames inside a hive are close to sterile. The outside of supers ARE NOT.

cchoganjr

#21 ·
I believe that there is an extractor, built like a Ferris wheel, in which one uncaps deep frames, puts them back into the supers, slides the super into the extractor and fills the extractor that way before extracting. Seems like one would have to slide the supers in at the top of the arc and do so in a manner whereby you slide in the 12 o'clock slot, rotate the whole carriage to the 6 o'clock slot and so on. It would be too heavy to do the slot next door until full, unless it were really well balanced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.