Default Feeder for top bar feeder has anyone tried this?

I seen a guy on youtube that built a top bar hive and put his feeder on top of the divider board. The way he made it was a double wall end board and drilled a top hole for the mason jar to set on top of the divider board and drilled 3 holes in the side so the bees could get to it and lined it with melted bees was. Has anyone tried this method? Do you think it would work?

Default Re: Feeder for top bar feeder has anyone tried this?

Don't know, but I'd like to look at the u-tube if you don't mind posting the link.

I am not sure what the divider board is, but there is a beekeeper here who does something similar to that with her top bar hives. She just makes a really wide bar with holes for two feeder jars. Sounds much simpler than what you are describing. You can see her description on her web site:

http://brownsdowntownbees.blogspot.c...ar-tricks.html

I just cut a Boardman feeder sized slot in the bottom of a follower board and put a boardman feeder in the back of the hive. I don't have a picture of that at the moment.

Ted

Ted

I took a jigsaw and cut out a slot in the end that would just allow the boardman feeder to fit in. Of course, this was done BEFORE the bees were installed. I don't have a detailed pic but there is one that shows what I'm talking about. The entrance is a 1" hole and there are 2 others plugged with wine corks until they build out to that point.top bar package 2.jpg

Dude, that hive aint blowing away with three cinder blocks on top!! : )

I cut a milk jug in half and put some mulch in it, pretty basic, but I do like the idea of refilling from the outside, and I cannot do that.
    This is on the other side of the follower.

Feeder.jpg