Default DWV question....

For the first time ever, I have seen a few bees with what appears to be DWV. All in the same really strong hive. Saw one last week and 3 yesterday.

Question...at what point does one consider this a serious problem? After the flow is over, the plan was to "treat" varroa with a mineral oil fog treatment every 3 weeks(via the same way The Fat Bee Man treats...see youtube for description). Is it too late once you start seeing DWV? After all these years, this is the first time I've encountered this.

Default Re: DWV question....

do a mite count,if its high,i consider it a problem,but i have a hive that had it bad last year,it set em back but they survived.

I had a hive last year that had DWV bad. 15 or so almost every day! That was a lot to me anyway. Did a mite count in Oct. Quit counting at 40. I don't treat, my decision. Let nature take it's course. Long story short, I have them and they are doing fine! It was a swarm I caught that I thought could be "feral". It has been really interesting to observe them weather away to the brink of collapse and then just came on like gang busters. It was like the girls had a meeting and they all decided, "Just say No to Mites"

Are you sure it's DWV? Remember workers work themselves to death and that is normally because they have shredded their wings. If it is DWV it seems a bit early in the year. If at all feasible I would take the supers off and treat, then put the supers back on.

Rod