Thread: Where they go?

Default Where they go?

New to the site , New to Bee keeping . New to everything.

Got my Bees Monday, But due to Storms didnt get em installed till last night .
    They were flying around all over the place today. went out to check the feeders a bit ago and one hive is almost empty, just a few workers hanging around. the other is looking fine
    Did one of the hives swarm on me? why about 20 bees left behind?

Default Re: Where they go?

Assuming you installed a package of bees, NO, they didn't swarm on you. They may have absconded (left the hive for some reason). How did you install them? How are you feeding them? It is hard to tell what happened without more details. Sorry you lost your bees!

Leave your box set up, they may come back. A friend of mine lost his and a swarm took its place and has filled his hive. You should still have an entrance reducer on also. Hope you the best.

If the bees absconded 1 day after you installed them, did you direct release the queen? While some experienced beekeepers do this, it seems high risk for a brand new beekeeper with just two packages.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    If the bees absconded 1 day after you installed them, did you direct release the queen? While some experienced beekeepers do this, it seems high risk for a brand new beekeeper with just two packages.
    No, I did poke a hole in the candy tho.

These package bees were pretty much yanked out of their previous "home" and stuffed into a box with a "stranger" for a Queen. Then they get dumped into another box (your hive) which is another strange place with strange smells etc., and they know that's not really their "home" either.
    Was the Queen still there? I was always told that one of the reasons for the Queen being kept in her cage for 3 or 4 days before release is that the colony won't abscond without her, and after a few days their smell is in the hive enough that they're very likely to stay put because by then they think it's their "home".
    I am guessing that the bees you found still in there had been out foraging when the rest of the colony took off, and don't know where else to go.

Thanks for the reply's.
    Im 62 guess Ill be learning this the rest of my life.

Just went out and looked and there are sevearl going in and out of the hive I thought was abandoned Maybe they are tryin to come back, Doubtful but I can hope

Should I try to reorder or just wait till next year?

If it was me, I would invest in a small bottle of lemongrass oil, and put no more than 4 drops onto the wood inside the empty hive. Leave the hive in place, and you might just catch a swarm.

Its also possible that your other hive might do so well that you could split it, and fill your empty hive. Search the forum for more info on "splitting".

Or just pony up some money, and get some more bees. Two hives is always better than one.

See if you can find a local bee club to join.
    Graham

If it was me, I would invest in a small bottle of lemongrass oil, and put no more than 4 drops onto the wood inside the empty hive. Leave the hive in place, and you might just catch a swarm.

Its also possible that your other hive might do so well that you could split it, and fill your empty hive. Search the forum for more info on "splitting".

Or just pony up some money, and get some more bees. Two hives is always better than one.

See if you can find a local bee club to join.
    Lemongrass oil? where ya get it?

There are several old timers around Not sure of any clubs But will check

Not worried about the money just wanted 2 hives .. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olevet View Post
    Its usually available at health food stores. Non-beekeepers often use it for "aromatherapy", as I understand it.

Online, Amazon, Ebay, and my favorite: http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/lemongrass-oil.html

You can find lots of threads about attracting swarms on Beesource by using the Search function for "swarm trap".
    Graham

Its usually available at health food stores. Non-beekeepers often use it for "aromatherapy", as I understand it.

Online, Amazon, Ebay, and my favorite: http://www.100pureessentialoils.com/lemongrass-oil.html

You can find lots of threads about attracting swarms on Beesource by using the Search function for "swarm trap".

Thanks Ill check it out

Think I will wait a few days and see what happens .
    Theres not many but a few are still going in an out so who knows maybe they just went visiting

Did the bees from hive A just go next door to join the bees in hive B??

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Did the bees from hive A just go next door to join the bees in hive B??

I didnt see a dead Queen ,
    Hell if I know .

Quote Originally Posted by olevet View Post

There are several old timers around Not sure of any clubs But will check

Not worried about the money just wanted 2 hives .. Thanks
    There is one in Jenny Lind, Arkansas Look under Oklahoma Bee associations and you can see them all. Looking at the map, you look close to this one in Jenny Lind, Ark. Their site is listed with someone to contact for info

Thanks all

Just reordered,
    Ima make it a little harder fer this Queen to get out .