Default Relocating: How do you get the girls inside

I have a follow-up question to BrianTurner's question 0f 02-07-12. I too, am moving about 1 mile away. I understand all that reorienting of the bees stuff, but I have another question. It's hot right now in southern Illinois and the girls spend much of their time on the porch - all night and all day. How do I get them to go inside so that I can move them?

Default Re: Relocating: How do you get the girls inside

cool weather and rain make them cluster inside. If neither happen put a lawn sprinkler on them on a overcast day and move in the evening.

place a moving screen on the hive at the end of the day and move them at night. its really easy to make take some screening and staple it to the hive so you close off the front and then poke about 5 holes in the screen with at pen or pencil. The bees can go in but cant figure out how to get out.

If there are not too many a water spray bottle works well.

I live outside Nashville and when I go down and look at my bees in the early morning or late evening, few are outside. I would put my small entrance reducer on in the early evening and go down later and take a spray bottle of water and fine mist the few left out and go from there. You can always leave a few.

Only move them after dark that is the time when the largest number of bees are present and accounted for, a few puffs of smoke will encourage those outside to go back inside and the darkness will discourage those inside from flying, while duct tape will prevent all of them from coming out again until they get to their new home.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantom670 View Post
    ... when I go down and look at my bees in the early morning or late evening, few are outside...
    When the weather really warms you'll see many more in the afternoon, evening and night.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I have my hive just inside an open portion on the backside of my barn that is covered and the sun stays on the hive till about 4pm. No rain gets on it much and I sure like working from the backside in the shade. Here is a picture on photobucket, http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb369/nantom670/