Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Do you wear gloves during a frame-by-frame inspection?

Nope, unless I'm dealing with a large swarm of unknown origin.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    I'd like to see of those that have responded how long have you kept bees. Myself, 11 years keeping bees and I do wear gloves. Usually nitrile gloves, but have my heavy leather gloves handy in case. Overall, I'm very pleased with the effectiveness of the nitrile gloves.
    3 years. The first season I would not go without them, but got tired of having stinky sweaty hands from the gloves. Tried 5 types of gloves that first year none of them kept my hands dry. Figured what the heck, stopped using them and started using frame grips (no more propolis on my hands).

You have to do what makes you comfortable. I will not open a hive without my veil, but have done inspections in shorts and t-shirt (with the veil). I find the occasional sting on my hands to help ease the joint pain, so for me a sting is a relief.
    Experience is better than theory.

Going on my 10th year with bees. Second year my dog ate one of my gloves, haven't worn them since under normal conditions. Like many others have said there are times......when not wearing them wouldn't be prudent.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I'd like to see of those that have responded how long have you kept bees. Myself, 11 years keeping bees and I do wear gloves. Usually nitrile gloves, but have my heavy leather gloves handy in case. Overall, I'm very pleased with the effectiveness of the nitrile gloves.
    OK, I'll answer that question. I started when I was 9 years old with my grandad and great uncle. I am 52 now. I did go through a period of about 10 years without doing any beekeeping but I did do some mentoring. So I probably have about 40-43 years. Does that qualify me to keep bees without wearing gloves.

So I probably have about 40-43 years. Does that qualify me to keep bees without wearing gloves.
    I think you need a dozen more!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    I think you need a dozen more!!
    Yeah,,,,I'm working on it.

Yes, most of the time. Still get stung because usually in a hurry. The older I get the more I swell, and the stings leave a bruse because of medications I take.

I wear gauntlet style gloves every time any more.. For the same reason I always wear a veil.. I just don't want to deal with a sting there. The gloves haven't caused me any problems. Some times I wear them with short sleeves, and still have bare arms.. The nice thing about stings though, around my 3rd summer with bees, stings stopped bothering me as much. This will be my fourth summer, I took 1 sting during a cut out last week, and it bugged me for about 10-15 minutes, but then nothing.. I'm pretty grateful for that. I think I got used to it after I took about 6 stings over a day, doing a cut out..
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Most of the time no. If they get rowdy and I have a "must do," yes. I view all stings as apitherapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    I always puff some smoke on my bare hands. I puff more on every few minutes. I smoke my hands more than I smoke the bees.
    Duh moment for me. Excellent idea!
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by MJuric View Post
    All you people saying you're getting stung and don't wear gloves how badly do you react to getting stung?
    Last night I caught a 4 pound swarm and the guy who was helping me hold a branch freaked out and ran. All 4 pounds of bees fell on my head, went down my shirt etc and I took about 100 stings to the arm, face, and chest. It hurt for about a minute, didnt have any swelling but, a big but , 3 hours after it happened I had flu like symptoms where I puked my guts out for about an hour and had cold sweats for another two hours. Im good to go this morning and although I got 4 hours of sleep I feel good except for some surface pain on the skin of my left arm where we counted 73 stings.

edit: I have kept bees for 1 year 23 days
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I went glovless on my first dump and got nailed 5 times in one wrist. I am a powersports salesman and my customers kept asking why my hands were so swollen. At that point I realized I needed to where gloves for my jobs sake.

Due to arthritis issues, I do not normally touch the frames with my fingers - I use a metal grip. I usually do wear gloves. Some of my bees are not so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Last night I caught a 4 pound swarm and the guy who was helping me hold a branch freaked out and ran. All 4 pounds of bees fell on my head, went down my shirt etc and I took about 100 stings to the arm, face, and chest.
    I think I would find him and dump bees on HIS head.

I'd like to see of those that have responded how long have you kept bees.
    This is my 3rd year keeping bees. The logic behind being able to "feel" better and inspect better without gloves made sense, so I tried it my first year. Did it most of the time that first year, but not all the time. I do prefer not using them but will use them when necessary.

I am in agreement with whomever said it above - test it out if you have the desire for a better tactile experience - NOT because you will be called a whimp if you don't. We do what we are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with stretching our comfort zone, but to do something that is not truly of your own desire - my feeling is - will never make you the beekeeper you otherwise would become.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I'll alway swear a veil but want to start leaving the gloves off. I think that will teach me to be more meticulous as a beekeeper. I have recently started stinging my right hand deliberately as I'm finishing up which seems to help the osteoarthritis at the base of my thumb.

I am a wimp when I get one inside my shirt. (I jump & holler like a spoiled three year old.)

The last few stings I have recieved, I have barely felt - however I bruise really badly. It looks awful and itches pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCarty View Post
    Due to arthritis issues, I do not normally touch the frames with my fingers
    May sound crazy but bee stings on my hands makes the arthritis in my hands go away.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

My arthritis is in my spine, but shows up in the hands.

Nope, but I take my wedding ring off since I had to cut it off last year. If they're super hot, I might wear exam gloves to minimize the stings.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcpa View Post
    Yes or No
    This is not a Yes or No question. Wearing gloves, for me, depends on the weather and temperment of the colony being worked more than almost anything. I let the bees tell me what to wear so as to minimize getting stung.

There is nothing wrong w/ wearing gloves or not wearing gloves under almost any circumstances. Picking up queens, I would not do wearing gloves, but I have.

I have worn Nitrile gloves these last two years.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast