Default mouse turds on BB

I had removed my mouse guards back in late March when things started to get going (pollen, traffic jams) and on a quick inspection this afternoon, I saw mouse turds on the bottom board. Should I put the guards back on or let them handle it? Nightime temps have been pretty chilly lately- 20-30s.

Default Re: mouse turds on BB

Should I put the guards back on or let them handle it?
    If you do make sure Mouse is not in the hive

Mice are only a problem when the bees cluster and with your night time temps that is exactly what they are doing. Like Tommy said if you do put them on when the bees are flying that should insure a mouse free hive.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

First of all I would get into that hive pronto and confirm whether it was a mouse or not. If it was then get it out of there, I had a hive abscond on me because of a mouse. It could have been something else. I can't remember if it's wax moths that have a little brown/black feces or not, but could be mistaken for something else I guess.

"First of all I would get into that hive pronto and confirm...."

How many inspections have you made since March? Even though there was a traffic jam at the entrance and you saw the bees bringing in pollen at that time, the queen may have died [or not laying eggs] since then. If that was the case, there was no build up in population. Normally, a hive will have a sufficient population of bees at this time of year to make it uncomfortable for a mouse that was in the hive, or prevent any mice from trying to get in. As was mentioned, it could be moth larval feces also.