Default Is this a Realistic plan?

April 18th I installed a package then on the 28th I installed a Nuc from a local Beek. Im using all new equipment. I live in NW Ga so I'm only gonna go with 1 Brood deep and the rest mediums.

My primary goal for the package is for it to be strong for next year, so i'll add another medium for brood & storage when needed. I'm still not sure if I should add a honey super or not. I guess depending on the how full the brood medium gets i may put on a honey super & let the bees draw some cone on it then add a queen excluder. If for some reason this works out & I do get some honey in the super, should I just leave it for the bees?

The Nuc had 5 frames drawn out nicely & covered in bees when I installed it. My primary goal for the Nuc is also to be strong for next year. But the local Beek said I should let some of the new frames fill out in the deep then add a queen excluder & medium, then remove the excluder in August.

I guess my confusion is on the Nuc, To me I need at least 1 Deep and 1 Medium as brood and storage to over winter right?
    Would it be realistic to think I might harvest a 'small' amount of honey from the Nuc?

What would be a realistic plan for my Nuc this first year?

Thanks
    David

Default Re: Is this a Realistic plan?

Personally, I think your management would be the same for the nuc and the package. The nuc just has a head start on the package. So now you have two colonies, you plan to run them with a deep and a medium as a brood nest.

As soon as the frames in the deep are 80% drawn out (8 of the 10 frames), put the medium on the hive. I would also be feeding 1:1 sugar syrup, as long as they'll take it. It helps them build up quicker, and build comb faster. They may not NEED it, as you probably have a flow on, but if they take it, they'll use it and it will build them up faster.

As soon as the top medium is 7-8 frames drawn out and filling/full of brood and honey, I'd add another. As long as they're drawing and filling, keep adding supers. You want them as strong as possible by fall. Once they get the deep and first medium done, you can remove any feed. If they quit taking feed, remove the feeder.

Oh, and in GA, you better have small hive beetle traps in your hives. I've had real good luck with anywhere from 2-6 of those "beetle jails" isntalled between frames in the brood area... 2 traps in each box. Put mineral oil in them.

Now, is there any particular reason you want a deep and a medium for your brood nest? Many folks run two deeps, that makes it easier to exchange frames, or reverse boxes, or make up nucs and splits as you expand. Doesn't matter to me, but think your future plans through.

Winter stores - you need to realize winter stores are different from brood area. for instance, I run my hives in two deeps for the brood nest. Depending on how they constrict the brood nest in the fall and back fill with honey, and depending on how heavy the colony is, I'll either leave the two deeps with nothing else, or add a shallow super for additional winter stores. In GA you may not need to be concerned about a large amount of winter stores, but you might need to be aware of when the dearth is on forage. Your bees still might be able to starve, late fall, or late winter/early spring.

Queen excluders, some folks use them, some don't. If you do, I'd suggest installing it AFTER the bees start drawing comb in your surplus super. That makes it easier for them to get started, but put it in before the queen gets up there. And yes, you must remove it in August or thereabouts, so the queen can move up with the cluster into stores as winter progresses. You don't want the queen trapped below the excluder unable to get to food...that would also keep the cluster with her, and they'd starve.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I'm not far from you, I would run the deep and then throw on the mediums without an excluder let them lay if they want and let them fill it with honey if they want. I have 5 hives, one hive is laying in 1 deep and has filled 2 mediums with honey, I have another laying in a deep and medium and filling a medium, then I have some with just mediums.

Do you get much of a sourwood bloom in Rome? If you can put them on the sourwood here in another month or so it will really help them out....also with our winter (and the one we didn't have last year) you can feed up till November easily so keep them on the nectar flows, feed when you need to and give them room and they should do well.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    Now, is there any particular reason you want a deep and a medium for your brood nest? Many folks run two deeps, that makes it easier to exchange frames, or reverse boxes, or make up nucs and splits as you expand. Doesn't matter to me, but think your future plans through.
    The only real reason Im using 1 Deep is that is what other locals are doing, and I wouldn't have to buy any additional equipment to get started (hive kit came with 1 deep and 1 medium). Thus allowing me to start with 2 hives rather than 1.
    I am using screened bottom boards, I don't think that should be a problem in the winter. I also just ordered beetle traps and will install them this weekend.
    I plan on making my first real inspection of my package hive installed on the 18th this afternoon. Hopefully all is going well.

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by luke0927 View Post

Do you get much of a sourwood bloom in Rome? If you can put them on the sourwood here in another month or so it will really help them out....also with our winter (and the one we didn't have last year) you can feed up till November easily so keep them on the nectar flows, feed when you need to and give them room and they should do well.
    Im not sure what sourwood bloom is?
    We have a fair amount of farm land in the Armuchee area (North Floyd Co.) It all borders Armuchee Creek. Tons of privet hedge blooming now.
    Do you use screened Bottom Boards? I shouldn't need to to change out to solid for winter would I??

Thanks
    David

Yes I use screened bottom board, in winter i take some of those plastic subdivision signs or for sale signs...and cut them down and slide in over the SBB. Yes blackberry is about finished and privet is going good. Sourwood is the tree you will see blooming June- could be mid June to early July a lot in the mountains, we have a few here in North Forsyth/Dawsonville but I move my hives up to our land in Blairsville, has small white blooms that look like bells (makes some awesome honey!)

Couple pictures

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/plants/oxydendrum.htm

sourwood060613-2681personz.jpg

Heh. I went on a rampage last weekend and took out nine privet trees. I hate the smell of it, and the taste of it in honey. There's so much clover and honeysuckle and other things going on that I'm sure they won't mind much.

Just for peace of mind; I am further north and never close my screened bottoms. They do just fine.
    Experience is better than theory.

I never close the screened bottom boards either and they do fine, would think you may get some surplus off the nuc would just keep adding boxes when they need more room and would probably not use an excluder.