Default Do I disturb the comb-building to kill these last two wax moth larvae? (photo)

(Edit): I tried to change the title from 'festooning' to 'comb-building', but it won't fully take on the main display....oh well.

Hello everyone.

Me and my buddy just did a cut-out on Monday of which the hive was infested with wax moth larvae.

I tried to kill as many as I could on site and salvage some of the comb. We transfered the comb via hairclips to a top bar hive. However, I went in today and found that they had already proliferated like crazy.

I trashed all of that comb along with what I THOUGHT was all the larvae.

So I look through the viewing window after I cleaned out all the infested comb and see two larvae hanging out RIGHT on the top bar resting on the follower-board where the bees are building new comb.

Do I just let those run their course because they have no host/comb at this point and will just die-out? I suppose if those larvae are allowed to cocoon and hatch, wouldn't the moths start laying eggs in whatever comb was newly built? I think one solution MAY be to remove the top cover of the hive to where the top bars are exposed and allow the larvae to get baked a little and exposed to the sun a bit through a small crack......but would that mess with the bees too much in such a delicate period?

I really don't want to disturb the beautiful comb-building unless I have to.

Here's a shot I took through the top bar hive viewing window.

Last edited by PatBeek; 05-02-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Default Re: Do I disturb the comb-building to kill these last two wax moth larvae? (photo)

Can you just "loosen" up the follower board and run a razor blade through the moth/larvae?

One thing I'd be worried about is opening the hive (or the window for that matter) too much and encouraging absconding....

Default Re: Do I disturb the comb-building to kill these last two wax moth larvae? (photo)

Quote Originally Posted by tsk View Post
    Can you just "loosen" up the follower board and run a razor blade through the moth/larvae?
    I sure could. I'm just waiting for a green-light from some of you more experienced keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by tsk View Post
    One thing I'd be worried about is opening the hive (or the window for that matter) too much and encouraging absconding....
    Absolutely understood.

I don't think I need to panic and/or rush to do anything right now until I'm sure.

You should be ok. Theres no more comb for the wax moths to get into. The bees will only build out now what they can cover. Once the moths hatch out the bees will run them out of the hive pretty quick. If you have any other hives you may want to shake in some more bees. That doesn't look like many bees to start a new hive from scratch. They diffenatly need to be fed to help them get going.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    You should be ok. Theres no more comb for the wax moths to get into. The bees will only build out now what they can cover. Once the moths hatch out the bees will run them out of the hive pretty quick. If you have any other hives you may want to shake in some more bees. That doesn't look like many bees to start a new hive from scratch. They diffenatly need to be fed to help them get going.
    Thanks, yeah, I'm leaning towards leaving them there for now unless someone can sway me otherwise.

I don't have any other hives. The cut-out me and my friend did on Monday gave me my first colony - albeit a sink-or-swim colony.

I am feeding them behind the follower-board - yes.

By the way, here's the thread regarding that cut-out:

Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

And here's the video of that cut-out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5_OIqohz8

Thanks, johng.

You know, the bees will eventually have those larvae completely covered-up/smothered once the ball-of-bees moves on down the bars to build their comb. Won't that most-likely do those larvae in?

I HATE those two larvae...........JUST LOOK AT 'EM UP THERE !!!!

They are ruining the party !!!

Folks, I took some decisive action today.

The following photos speak for themselves:

Ahhhhh, look how beautiful - gettin' busy, building their own comb, wax-moth-larvae-free:

You know pat, I'd of done the same thing. However, (not knowing if you did) I would have followed the advice of tsk and not disturbing them too much. Glad you got em' out!
    "Death smiles at everyone. Marines smile back!"

Yeah, they are such a calm lot - almost happy to be saved from their previous situation. I could go in there and cuddle with them and they'd probably be ok with it.

So now the new, virgin white comb is emerging from the ball-of-bees over the past day-or-so.

They are hanging in there, it looks like. I know it's a small bunch, but they just may pull through. They seem very happy and busy.

Here's a short 2 min video of goings-on in my backyard over the past 2 days:

http://youtu.be/szHIjbPy4kc