Default Suggestion for forum

It would be very helpful if there was an easy way to visually see how long a poster has been a beekeeper. Maybe the old very experienced beekeepers names could be a different color, or have a certain symbol next to their name.
    9th year beekeeper, about 20 hives.

Default Re: Suggestion for forum

Can't they just put it in their profile? If you read the forums long enough they usually tell you in their post.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The only "class" distinction I've resolved to have on the forum is that of moderator. I'd be happy to do away with that label, but allow it so there is not confusion when a member who's a moderator has to dialog with another member about an issue. If you want to know how many years a member has been keeping bees, look in their profile. Everyone has the option to list that info.
    Regards, Barry

Many users do not include a profile. So if you get a suggestion from them, you have no idea how much merit to give it. Is this person a first year beekeeper or a 30 year commercial beekeeper? I just feel it would be helpful for users reading the threads.
    9th year beekeeper, about 20 hives.

I don't fill out profile as i don't give out my information. Not concerend with being well known and wouldn't even dream of giving out information no matter what. Shrug. IF i give suggestions, take it or leave it. Its your choice. I respect others privacy and expect the same. Why does it matter if someone has 30 years or 1 year. I've seen some folks iwth 1 year that are very good at what they do.

IF i were i n this for merit badges i would join the boy scouts

Quote Originally Posted by muskratcreekhoney View Post
    Many users do not include a profile. So if you get a suggestion from them, you have no idea how much merit to give it.
    Just stick around. In a very short time, one knows who to give merit to.
    Regards, Barry

The only thing you can go by is the "joined" date. It's possible to have a lot of postings and maybe one hive.

I'll share the following with you:

I'm not sure how many years will pass until I consider myself anything more than a student of beekeeping (as in beginner) but I'd like to offer a little advice to new arrivals to Beesource:

Read carefully and read a lot, and know that the responses to your questions may not be correct. Look at Member Profiles and look through some of the threads that the member has started to get an idea of their background. There are a number of very knowledgeable people here that you could simply follow any advice they may offer. And there are sometimes a few good answers for a question...

On the other hand, if you see a member's posting "My Bees Arrived" that is six months old, you may not want to follow their queen rearing advice!

But, before asking a question, do a little research of your own. The search function on the "Beekeeping Home" http://www.beesource.com/ will often return results that you won't get within the forum itself. A big advantage is that three character searches can be performed such as "CCD".

The number of postings a member has made is not always an indication of their experience, and there are no free gifts awarded to frequent posters. Go to the member list and get a feel for who's who. Knowing a little about the members will help you to get the most out of this forum.

Keyboards have become beekeeping tools and only experience will teach us to know when they're being used properly...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just stick around. In a very short time, one knows who to give merit to.
    Thats the truth!