Thread: Swarm follow up

Default Swarm follow up

Caught the swarm 4/12 and put it in a medium with 6 frames. This is the first week I've noticed a little pollin going in. Opened them up, looks like 1 frame capped brood and 2 frames cone and honey. Is this normal or is this a really weak hive? Will leave alone now for a few more weeks of course...we have a huge pollin flow going on, my established hive took a 3rd medium and I had just put in a 2nd 2 weeks ago...

Swarm I caught last week I didn't look at; too soon I think.......

Default Re: Swarm follow up

No replies? Does anyone look at their swarms after 3 weeks? Any comparisons out there, anyone, anyone??

I picked up two swarms, one on the 15th and one on the 16th. Hived both into medium supers. One swarm was about twice as big as the other. When I check Sunday, the big swarm had about 2 1/2 frames of eggs/brood. The smaller swarm had 4 frames with about a full two frames of capped over brood. Looks like it depends on the swarm.
    Just happy that both queens are there and laying eggs.
    Mike

Hi Cabees,
    I generally feed swarms pretty heavily, especially if they are small. That way they have lots of stores. I find some take syrup readily and others hardly touch it and it doesn't matter if there is a flow on or not. When the flow ends then I tend to see a lot of robbing so I really ratchet down on the entrance reducers. Pollen is a good sign as they need sign when they are raising brood. As vaughnm said it depends on the swarm. Some seem to build up much quicker than others.