Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do I need a electric uncapping knife?

a bread knife sitting in a thermos of boiling water works for us

What about using a heat gun, as in the youtube video in Max2's post above? Looks to be really easy and readily uncaps all the cells, regardless of surface uneveness
    --shinbone
    (4th year, Zone 5b, 10/12 hives survived W'14)

I live in Florida, what is this Thermos device you Canadians speak of?
    Sounds like Greek! Hehehe

Was a very lucky young beekeeper when my uncle from Oklahoma sent me his old extractor and in the bottom was his old electric capping knife. Tried using a cold knife once and it did not compare.
    About the time I replace it I will find that old hot knife.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    +1 on the cold knife with offset handle. In a knife-to-knife competition I can beat a hot knife by a good margin.
    Is the knife serrated?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I also have an old electric decapping knife, to adjust the heat on it you turn a tiny brass screw mounted in the blade, I have it set as low as it will go and the knife works great at pealing off the cappings without boiling the honey but I do wish the blade was a bit longer for the deep frames.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

I got an uncapping knife for my birthday and I have to say using it almost a year later it has its advantages. When the comb is shallow you can uncap easier with it than a cold knife.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Is the knife serrated?
    Yes, item number 900 from Brushy Mountain. Jim Lyon educated me last year that not all hot knives are created equal, so my comparison from 2012 above may not be representative of what an expert with a high quality hot knife could do. Nonetheless, the cold knife I referenced is a nice tool.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I tried to use a non-headed serrated knife to uncap. it was painfully slow compared to my electric uncapping knife and the results, how smooth and even i could uncap the cells, wasn't even close to the same. (electric knife doing a WAY better job)

I do use a capping scratcher for cells that are "below" the surface of the frames. Only other tool i might consider is a heat gun after watching several vids on youtube.

I love my heated uncapping knife.

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    I tried to use a non-headed serrated knife to uncap. it was painfully slow compared to my electric uncapping knife and the results, how smooth and even i could uncap the cells, wasn't even close to the same. (electric knife doing a WAY better job)
    If you are a purist and don't want your honey heated the cold knife is a good option. Slower yes, but with patience it can go well.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The heat gun is tempting, but with the upper on a proper catch container for the honey and wax. I fear that the opening will close up before I have the second side opened, let alone eight frames to fill my centrifuge.

But, we will try and hope I can remember next year!

The memory is a treacherous thing when one gets older. Thanks for youtube! we can refresh our memories now.

Cheers, bee good, Joerg

+1 for the serrated bread knife, but two points. Get a good one. I bought a used Cutco 1724. Cutco will sharpen their knives for free forever. You have to pay shipping to get it there and back, but it is *sharp*. Once factory-sharpened it should last many, many uncapping sessions if properly cared for and used for nothing else. Second, a serrated knife works when moved back and forth, it won't just glide through things, so you have to "saw" with it. But I actually like it better than the heated uncapping knife that I've used.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

I started with a very, very old uncapping knife. It's not heated but very sharp and thin. I did a great job cutting through the cappings. As the arthritis in my thumbs got worse, I had trouble holding it without resting a lot. I bought an electric one. It's a little faster and the handle was quite a bit thicker making it easier for me to work with. I use a scratcher for sunked areas where the hot knife doesn't slice the caps off.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12