Default Overwintering nucs question

Here is my situation. I currently have 10 hives and plan on splitting this fall and increase my count to 30 total. I have 20 brand new complete deeps to use. I'm not wanting to buy 20 more nuc boxes and would rather find a way to use the new deeps but my concern is if the hives have not built up enough by winter I'm afraid of the deeps being to big and too much space to heat or for them to keep warm. Should I or could I just put a divider in them at whatever size they need or maybe just divide the deeps into 2 and do 2 nucs per 10 frame deep? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Randy

Default Re: Overwintering nucs question

I divided a couple 10 frames boxes and could easily put 4 frames in each. The nucs grew a bit too much so I put a second divided 10 frame on top to make a total of 8 frames per nuc. These nucs wintered quite well. I should note I use medium frames and deep frames might have been enough space to winter on 4 frames. I'm in zone 3-4 at 6000 ft elevation, but had a really mild winter.
    hope this helps

I was wondering if a 5 frame in a plywood dcoates box will overwinter here in nc. I guess it all depends on how much honey they can store.

RZRBCK BEE: Yes, splitting a 10-frame deep into 2 4-frame nucs should work fine; the 2 colonies will "share warmth" that way & make it through easier than if you shurnk the nuc down & only put one colony in it (with the same 4-frame size left). Just be sure they have plenty of stores, or add a divided top feeder over them (just to be safe).

firebug: I'd recommend setting them as close together as possible, so the nucs can "share heat" some, and trying to arrange it so that you can feed them a bit of sugar (or syrup, if you really want) if/when they run low on stores. At least in NC you have a shorter, milder winter than many, so that should make it a bit easier. That said, I've heard of beeks up in MI and OH wintering 5-frame deep nucs successfully.

Read what they do at frenchbeefarm.com All beekeeping is local but I am in long cold winter country and I am going to trial it. There is also good info on wintering nucs at mdasplitter.com It is kind of buried but if I can find it, anyone can.

You should get Larry Conners book "Increase essencials" Dadant has it in their catalogue. It was written for more Northern locations but has a lot of good information about how to winter two nucs in a deep hive body. This is a great way to add new hives.

Adam

Is there an english version to the french bee farm? I don't know a lick of french. Lol. Appreciate the responses. Thanks

If nothing else, you could go to http://translate.google.com and type in the url...that'll (roughly) translate it for you

Also, read Michael Palmer's post on this forum, he has a commercial operation in New England and overwinters several hundred nucs.

I am not convinced that bees warm the box. I used a laser thermometer on a hive this winter and the temp out side the last frame of the cluster dropped to within 1 -2 degrees of the outside of the box. The frames around the cluster nice and warm. As long as the cluster is big enough to not freeze and patrol there area then I don't see anything wrong with a full deep.