Hybrid View

Default Warre - only ever add boxes to the bottom?

My first Warre is officially a week post-install today and the bees seem to be busy. I'm planning on adding another box or two in a week or so and it got me thinking about the whole Warre process a little bit. I've read "Bee Keeping for All" through a few times but I'm having a hard time with some of his concepts. Does Warre suggest that we always add boxes from beneath and never super or does this just apply to adding boxes to an already established hive in the Spring? My package bees are currently busy building comb and laying eggs in the current two boxes, if I add to more boxes beneath doesn't that predispose me to having lots of brood in the honey when I harvest the top box in the late summer? Also, if we only ever add boxes to the bottom as advised, doesn't this mean we are always harvesting honey from comb which had brood in it at one time?

Default Re: Warre - only ever add boxes to the bottom?

I will post the same thing here that I did on the other website. I suggest you read this gentleman's website.

http://www.thewarrestore.com/

I find it very informative and he's from Michigan. So his advice is tailored to your state!

To answer your questions, the boxes are added underneath because they are foundationless. Put a foundationless box on top, and bees can have a major job moving into it, unless the hive is very strong and there is a good flow at the time. Yes, it does mean you'll be eating honey that has had brood in the combs.

You could use foundation, in which case boxes could easily be added on top and the hive run like a langstroth. But if you did that, you may as well HAVE a langstroth.

You could also move combs around and put one or two in the new box going on top, to give the bees a "ladder" to the top of the box from where they will start building new combs. But again, moving combs is going against Warre philosophy, and towards langstroth philosophy.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    To answer your questions, the boxes are added underneath because they are foundationless. Put a foundationless box on top, and bees can have a major job moving into it, unless the hive is very strong and there is a good flow at the time. Yes, it does mean you'll be eating honey that has had brood in the combs.

You could use foundation, in which case boxes could easily be added on top and the hive run like a langstroth. But if you did that, you may as well HAVE a langstroth.

You could also move combs around and put one or two in the new box going on top, to give the bees a "ladder" to the top of the box from where they will start building new combs. But again, moving combs is going against Warre philosophy, and towards langstroth philosophy.
    Thanks that helps a great deal!

I'm sorry to highjack the thread, but I have a continuation of Ambassador's questions:

If the bees fill the old brood, isn't the comb dark and 'dirty'? I know they clean it out before storing the honey, but the brood comb gets very dark quickly when being used. Do they clean it well enough to make is presentable as comb honey? I've been reading everything I can find on this process and haven't found a viable answer...

Quote Originally Posted by barnabees View Post
    I'm sorry to highjack the thread, but I have a continuation of Ambassador's questions:

If the bees fill the old brood, isn't the comb dark and 'dirty'? I know they clean it out before storing the honey, but the brood comb gets very dark quickly when being used. Do they clean it well enough to make is presentable as comb honey? I've been reading everything I can find on this process and haven't found a viable answer...
    Dark, yes it will be, especially the center combs. The outside combs in box will be lighter and sometimes white. But this depends on how fast they build down during a nectar flow. They do clean each cell out, but the cocoons are left behind in the cells. Must of us just crush and strain our comb. So you will be lucky if you get pure white comb. If you want comb honey, best bet is TBH or Langstroth.