Default Been really busy with the bees, and now have questions!!

Hey everyone!

So ive been catching swarms and did a cut out recently, adding to my hive count. Its been fun!

So here are the good, the bad, and the ugly!!

Good- All my swarm hives are building comb like mad on the foundationless frames (love them a lot better than the plastic ones!) and they are coming along really good. One of the queens I seen was HUGE, biggest one ive seen so far, looked like a stink beetle crawling around on the comb!

The bad- The cut out bees absconded the same day I placed them in the bee yard. Oh well.

The ugly- checked my other single deep hives that were queenless for eggs (after adding eggs/brood weeks ago) and a couple are doing good and a couple are not. One hive as far as I can tell had single eggs placed in the bottom of the cells, but everything I see capped are drones..........im assuming its a drone laying queen, although I didnt find her.

Another hive was testy and I didnt see any queen cells or even cells that were torn down from the frames of eggs I gave them a few weeks ago. Think i'll add another frame of brood/eggs tomorrow and see if they build queen cells.

All in all things are going good and I have trippled my hive count since January!!

Heres a question, can I find the drone laying queen, kill her and combine the hive with another hive? I am pretty sure that its a queenrite hive and not a laying worker hive.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Been really busy with the bees, and now have questions!!

If you can find her it will be an easy combine. You might also put that box over a queen excluder over a queenright box and I bet most of the bees will abandon her for the good smelling queen! That will make her a lot easier to find and liminate.

Vance,

You don't think there's a possibility that the workers on top will cross the excluder and kill the good queen?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

They very rarely do when you do a combine without news paper I think if the queen is excluded from rapidly entering strangers territory her court will be more than able to protect her from the other faction.

Vance, what would happen if you did a newspaper combine in that situation? Personally I'm just kind of nervous about doing a combine without using newspaper. But hey! I like to learn.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Little update:

I had the time today so i completely went through all my hives and also moved them to a new stand and cleaned up the apiary a bit with the weed eater, great day in the bee yard!!

Anyhow, the one hive that I thought had a drone laying queen, well, its a laying worker hive. Upon closer inspection I seen eggs on the side of the comb, and some cells with multiple eggs. I am going to do what Vance suggested and add a frame of brood every week until they finally make a queen and the laying worker is gone, thanks for the info Vance!

The other cranky hive also received a frame of eggs/larva to attempt to make a queen again, just incase they didnt succeed last time, I didnt see any eggs, but the Virgin may also be mating and hasnt layed yet, anyhow, they will either make a new queen or get a boost from the frame of eggs.

All my swarm hives are doing great, infact, I caught another swarm last night and added them to the yard as well. Been a great year to increase numbers!!
    Coyote Creek Bees