Default Ulbn-swarm-brood break

Have we been our own demise to bees; swarm prevention, queen excluders, limited drone rearing and constant brood rearing?

My 8 frame, four deep, ULBN hive is absolutely a nectar gathering machine! They have swarmed and there is a break in brood rearing, but they are strong in gathering nectar.

Default Re: Ulbn-swarm-brood break

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a ULBN hive?

I believe he is referring to Unlimited Brood Nest ....

Heading off swarming is just good sense. You get the bees in your equipment where you can manage them instead of the trees where you can't.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

If you feel you need a brood break a walk away split will make one.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#walkaway
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I like swarm prevention because keeping the bees around produces me honey and keeps them where I can give them a little help if they need it. I use queen excluders on some occaisions but don't regularly. Sacrificing drones is a real good way to keep mites down to a manageable level and there are always far more than needed. Your brood break from them swarming will indeed crash the mite population but you could have taken the queen and a split and kept them in the bee yard while recieving the same benefit.. I see my interest and the bees as being the same. I am a symbiont not a parasite.