Default Splitting a hive twice?

Hello everybody,
    A couple of days ago I've split my relatively large hive. I've put the queen with some honeycombs in a top bar hive, leaving the old colony with the broodnest and foraging bees to make their new queen.

I want to wait a week, and when they've made queen cells, take one frame with queen cell(s) out with some bees, two frames of honey/pollen from another hive to make a nuc.

Will this work, or do I weaken the 'old' colony too much? Is one frame of bees enough for a nuc? (three frame hive with small entrance) do I need to feed them extra?

This is my first time making a nuc, I usually split hives into two large colonies.

It's spring here, reasonably good weather, good nectar/pollen flow when the weather allows for flying bees.

Thanks for your help,
    Michiel

Default Re: Splitting a hive twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
    Is one frame of bees enough for a nuc? (three frame hive with small entrance) do I need to feed them extra?
    It's spring here, reasonably good weather, good nectar/pollen flow when the weather allows for flying bees.
    I would do it, but check on the nuc for a few weeks while waiting for the new brood to hatch. If you see a shortfall of food or bees, then provide some from another hive. After her brood starts hatching you'll be fine!

Thanks, will do!

Also, I'd provide the nuc with a top-feeder if possible (mason jar with a couple holes punched in the lid will work great. Remember, any foragers you shake into the nuc will return promptly to their original colony, so add extras when you stock the nuc, and feed well as the nuc will have 0 foragers for about the first week.

Aside from that, I see no problems with your plan; just be sure to keep an eye on the nuc after the new queen's brood starts emerging, so you can move them into a larger hive before they get overcrowded.

mdasplitter.com is very responsive to your question. Spend a couple hours studying it is may advice.

Quote Originally Posted by robherc View Post
    Also, I'd provide the nuc with a top-feeder if possible (mason jar with a couple holes punched in the lid will work great. Remember, any foragers you shake into the nuc will return promptly to their original colony, so add extras when you stock the nuc, and feed well as the nuc will have 0 foragers for about the first week.

Aside from that, I see no problems with your plan; just be sure to keep an eye on the nuc after the new queen's brood starts emerging, so you can move them into a larger hive before they get overcrowded.
    I have mason jars ready, thanks for the advice

Vance G.: Thanks, I'm scrolling through it right now