Default Anybody got a clue what's going on here?

They've been doing this for a few days now in the evening. This is in the morning. They all go inside once the workers leave in the morning.....I'm guessing they're overcrowded. There's a new hive ready for them to move into when they make up their mind.......

This shows a new empty Warre in the background:

z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zardiw; 04-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: Anybody got a clue what's going on here?

There not going to move on their own. You will need to move/ split them or they will swarm. I would bet there are already swarm cells in that hive

They may be crowded, or warm, or whatever... If you're wanting to have them populate the warre too, then I'd recommend grabbing about half of the bars out of your brood area & move them into the warre (do it overnight, preferrably). Also, since most of the foragers will return to the TBH hive, you should prob. move a few bars of capped honey over to the warre, or install a feeder for them.

Usually when there bunched out like that there overcrowded or its warm in the hive check for swarm cells check if there's laying room for the queen. Queen runs out of laying room they will fill crowded and probably swarm just my 2 cents.

I want them to swarm.......and move into the Warre........z

FWIW my original hive is about 30' away from the TBH.....and a swarm from there populated the TBH originally........leading me to believe...'If you build it they will come'.......you think that will work as far as populating the Warre? I've got an enticing 'knot hole' there.....and have been dosing both the hole and the normal bottom entrance with LGO.......

Also, a few days ago they 'swarmed'.....but then all went back to the hive.....I think it was a mating run......don't know......relative novice when it comes to bees.........z

Quote Originally Posted by zardiw View Post
    I want them to swarm.......and move into the Warre........z
    If it were just that easy......

Seriously, they may very well swarm, but there's no guarantee that its going to be where you want them. If you want a split take it on your terms. If not, give them more room and ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG T View Post
    Usually when there bunched out like that there overcrowded or its warm in the hive check for swarm cells check if there's laying room for the queen. Queen runs out of laying room they will fill crowded and probably swarm just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, it's kinda hot here in Palm Springs Ca....my thought also that they were hot......This hive is Loaded with bees....got a window in the side......seems like a lot of the honey combs have been emptied.......z

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    If it were just that easy......

Seriously, they may very well swarm, but there's no guarantee that its going to be where you want them. If you want a split take it on your terms. If not, give them more room and ventilation.

Splitting is gonna be kinda difficult.....for one they messed up the TBH and built at an angle.......opening that is not something I'm looking forward to.......although I will harvest honey from it in awhile...gonna be a mess.........z

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding

They are not swarming, they are bearding. Look inside. See if they have room, maybe open up the brood nest to head off swarming.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush
    They are not swarming, they are bearding.
    Agree. You said it's been hot - what kind of ventilation does the hive have?

Ventilation is the key. Also, the hive may have a big population, creating more need for ventilation. The population increase may spur swarming and it certainly makes them hot...hence, the bearding that you see. I say, check the hive for swarm cells and give them ventilation while you're at it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"