Thread: Mating Nucs

Default Mating Nucs

I was considering making up some mating nucs that were 2 medium frames instead of using the 4 half medium frame mini nucs that you often see. Since it is the same amount of comb space, I don't see much real difference. Does anyone know of reasons why this would be less than ideal?

Default Re: Mating Nucs

As far as I'm concerned two standard medium frames IS ideal...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenre...htm#matingnucs
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've had difficulty maintaining mating nucs at the 2 frame medium size. Not saying it isn't ideal, but for a beginner (at queen rearing) it was challenging.

I ended up having several abscond and several get robbed out. Next time I will be using 3-4 medium frames at a minimum.

I have used medium depth condo mating nucs comprised of 2-frame mating compartments. They worked okay, but I also tried 3-frame compartments and I liked them better, I can start them with two frames of honey/pollen and one of sealed/emerging brood and a queen cell, then I can remove a frame of eggs from the new queen and give them a new foundationless frame or empty comb and keep the new queen laying, repeating this process having the bees build new comb and having the new queen lay in it, until I have as much new comb as I want and the new queen has built up her laying abilities. 2-comb compartments aren't quite as efficient at growing the new comb, though they are also able to accomplish this, in my opinion, just not as well.

Though I will probably continue using a few 2-frame condo mating nucs, because they do work and it will give me a little more experience with different configurations.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Mine are smaller yet, 2 mediums cut in half.