Thread: 2nd Box Added

Default 2nd Box Added

Hi Everyone: I'm another new beekeeper. I'll add my questions to the long list from newbees this season.

We installed our 1st nuc 3 weeks ago. The nuc was a 5 frame medium, we installed it in a 10 frame medium body. My standard set up will be all 10 frame mediums. I have been feeding syrup the entire time because they are drwing out frames. Last week they had drawn our all but the two outermost sides of frames 1 and 10. We rotated them so the undrawn sides were now on the inside rather than facing the hive body wall. I also added a 2nd - 10 frame hive body with wax foundation in all 10 frames. We continued feeding 1:1 syrup, and the bees are taking it at about 3 quarts every 3 days. We actually only check it twice a week weather permitting.

Yesterday we did our second inspection. In the top box, 6 frames are nearly drawn out and there appear to be stores of nectar (or syrup) going in, No brood in the top box at all, but bees were in there working. The bottom box had a strong mix of brood (capped and larvae) and stores as well as empty clean cells in the middle, I assume this was hatching bees over the past week.

My questions are: is it normal for the bees to start storing nectar in frames that aren't fully drawn?

Should I keep feeding syrup as long as they are drawing out frames? Or, since they are storing, stop feeding?

When should I start seeing brood in the top box?

I didn't move a frame of brood up to the top box when I added it. Is that important? Should I do that now?

We spotted the queen on last week's inspection, but didn't see her yesterday. We also took pitures of nearly all the frames in the lower box and didn't see her in those either. We did see several queen cups. It didn't look like there was anything in any of them, but itas had to tell with all the bees going in and out. The population looked good so I don't think they swarmed. They are super busy coming and going.

Thanks in advance!

JB

Default Re: 2nd Box Added

I'm a bit new also, but I think you are doing great. From what I've read they will start storing, and even laying, in unfinished cells. They will just buildup around it and store more as they fill it out. The moving the frames around is usually just to get them to accept the new box, but it seems they aren't having a problem with that so everything is goo there. I think they will move up to the upper box for laying when they are laying faster than they are hatching. It took mine about a month after I added it for them to lay there.

Inspecting once a week is what I've heard is about the most you should do. Even that is pushing it according to a bunch, but we need to learn somehow. Most people I've talked to say that opening the hive sets it back 4-7 days. But your seem to be doing great no matter what, so who cares. It took my girls, also from a nuc, three month to fill out 2 boxes so your are really going good.

Keep it up.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

is it normal for the bees to start storing nectar in frames that aren't fully drawn?
    Yep.

Should I keep feeding syrup as long as they are drawing out frames? Or, since they are storing, stop feeding?
    Pass since I do not feed my bees.

When should I start seeing brood in the top box?
    When the queen decides to go up there and lay assuming they don't completely backfill it with syrup.

I didn't move a frame of brood up to the top box when I added it. Is that important? Should I do that now?
    Nope, that is done to coax them into a newly installed box of foundation.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thanks for the replies MrHappy and NasalSponge. I appreciate the confirmations. I hope to see the queen again on next inpection.

Mr. H - I'm inspecting about once a week on either Saturday or Sunday depending on weather. Of course I've only done two. Somewhere mid week, I just take of the covers and replace the feed bag. I'm using the freezer baggie approach. So hopefully that is not too much disruption. The bees are working hard. There is a lot of traffic in and out and they are bringing in a lot of pollen.

Still waitng for my second nuc to arrive....maybe this weekend, I hope.

Irmo- Quick question.. did you get a hold of a steroid for bees!!!!!???? It sounds like you have the most cooperative, hardest working bees around. I am pleased to hear you are having good results. As newbees we all want that! Hope you have continued good results. juzzerbee

Thanks Juzzerbee! Maybe it was something in the costco sugar! The nuc came from one of the beeks in our local assocation and was in beautiful shape. 5 full frames and packed with bees. I'm lookng forward to the second ones arrival.