Default Alternatives for a honey processing plant in Central America

Hello All,

I have recently begun to work in the finance department of a family owned company that got its start working with honey by exporting a high quality product from El Salvador to Europe over 20 years ago.

Throughout that time we have gone from solely being an exporter to working with our own hives, building a processing plant and finally developing consumer ready products for the natural health industry.

I, personally, am not an expert in the honey manufacturing process but have been brought in to assist with the accounting and numbers side of the company. Due to the seasonal nature of the business our processing plant operates only half of the year so my question is:

Does anyone know of an alternative product that we could look into in order to put the equipment we have to use for the months where no honey is processed? In order to maximize the productivity of the investment/equipment/machinery. One example we are looking at is molasses (sugar cane) but the market does not seem viable. Any other options anyone has would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

http://www.healthcoproducts.com/InicioEng.aspx

Default Re: Alternatives for a honey processing plant in Central America

Are you currently doing anything with wax or propolis? I have seen some interesting things done with these.... ie "Burt's Bees".
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Hello Herb.-

Thanks for the feedback.

We have actually been trying to maximize all of the hive's offerings by developing various products using propolis (ex. ointments, ingestible solutions and oral capsules) along with pollen and royal jelly. I tell you, those little creatures are truly amazing.

There was also a time where we made candles from the wax as a value added gift to the customers who bought the health products. Although we no longer make the candles we have developed a product where the wax is used for cosmetic depilatation or hair removal. Ex.) upper lip or 'bikini' waxing

What we are interested in doing is putting the honey processing plant (Three stainless steel settling tanks capacity 25 barrels each along with the tub and filters where raw honey goes into) to work when the season is over.

Thanks again for suggestion and if there are any others from anyone, they are more than welcomed.

http://www.healthcoproducts.com/InicioEng.aspx

Agave nectar
    Bottle Herba Matte drink ( iced)

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Agave nectar
    Bottle Herba Matte drink ( iced)
    Does Agave grow in El Salvador? I know it does on the red soils of Jalisco (MX)... if it does... yea... make Tequilla!
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Thanks for the good suggestions.

I will definitely look into these as options.

Thanks again.

You are polite to honor those suggestions with a thankyou! I don't know what agricultural products are raised in your area that you might process or ferment. I wish you well in your endeavor.