Default Caught my first swarm

Hey Guys, Just caught my first swarm, oddly it came from a queenless split I did on April 8th. Had it in my head I would have a virgin queen going on mating flights this week and not swarm. Do I install them in a new hive and when, got them in a cardboard nuc for now, til I figure out what to do. Anybody know what could have happened, will bees swarm with a virgin queen?

Thanks Bonnie

Default Re: Caught my first swarm

Concrats on the swarm. Yes, they will throw swarms with virgin queens. My first caught swarm was from my only hive that swarmed two weeks earlier. The event entertained the neighborhood. One recent hive threw ever smaller swarms until the hive was empty. The first was 40+ feet up, the biggest I ever saw and not worth the risk. The last was about the size of a softball and died out shortly afterwards. I suspect all were virgin queens. A codger noted high clusters are virgin queens. A laying queen doesn't fly as high. (?)

IMHO, install them before they build up. Sooner is fine too.

Default Re: Caught my first swarm

Well hopefully the old codger was right, the swarm was about 10ft up, I'll install them late this afternoon. I would say this one was about the size of a cantalope. hopefully enough bees. I can hive them in the same bee yard right?