Well, of the two hive inspections I've done thus far. ;-)

I went into the hive yesterday, first to attach screen over the top feeder so I could raise the top cover for ventilation without drowning bees (thanks to suggestions on this forum!), and then to inspect the hive. I inspected a couple of weeks ago and saw eggs, so knew the queen was working ... and today I got a real treat. There was plenty of larvae and capped brood. And I got to watch a couple of brand new bees emerge from their cells. And I found the queen. I also found a small hive beetle hiding in a corner of one of the frames that I was inspecting ... I knocked it out with the hive tool where it landed on top of the frames in the hive .. and a bee immediately jumped on it and did it in. All in all, a very exciting inspection (pics on my blog!).

Now, what to do about the small hive beetle ... I also took out the IPM board in the hive bottom and found perhaps three varroa mites. The board is not a sticky board, just white dry-erase like board. But as I was looking over the bees I was looking for the mites and saw only one. And I looked around a bit and didn't see any other small hive beetles. I'm sure they are, but obviously not in huge quantities ... so, should I take any action yet or just monitor for now?