Default Hive 'nectar-bound'... & supercedure cells: What to do?

I have a large hive that overwintered and got big fast. I've kept adding foundation (which is all I have -- these are my first bees) to give them room (while making room in brood nest and also checkerboarding frames of nectar above.) Over the past couple of inspections, there were a several uncapped swarm cells which I cut out. Hive has *lots* of bees, they don't seem to have swarmed yet, still busy and focused.

But on yesterday's check, noted no eggs, hardly any uncapped larvae, still a few frames of capped larva -- and at least 4 capped supercedure cells in the middle of frames throughout the hive. ALL comb is full of uncapped nectar, and they are filling even comb that has barely been drawn. (There is still empty foundation available too...trying to give room...)

I'm trying so hard to get honey from this hive this year. Is there anything I should be doing that I'm not? THANK YOU in advance for your advice. I sure have appreciated the help in the past too. :-)

Default Re: Hive 'nectar-bound'... & supercedure cells: What to do?

Split them. Find the queen and separate her with 1/3 of the frames and the bees on them. Leave the Q-cells in the original box. That way they will fell like they have already swarmed. Add undrawn foundation to both.
    Old Guy in Alabama

They swarmed, wait till the new queen hatches and mates unless you can get a queen very shortly.

I had been planning to split them today...even though I had hoped to focus on honey rather than another hive, but it occurred to me after Adam's post that they may have swarmed, and b/c of the number of bees remaining (and their steady working behavior), I may not have recognized them as queenless. So I guess I'll leave all in place and see if they can work up a new queen from supercedure cells.

As a beginner, I'm truly puzzled as to how one manages hives for honey, instead of making new hives all the time to prevent swarms! (Since "split" seems to the be next step when "making room" isn't working.)

Thank you both -- any other suggestions out there?

Hi there! I'm in Washington County also, Fayetteville to be exact! I have two hives doing the exact same thing. Everything is full up with backfilled nectar. Weird thing is is that I split the hives already on the 7th and 8th of April. I am waiting to see whats happens this week after I went through and removed some frames and replaced with new frames and foundation only. Even weirder is that I have supers on both of these hives! Where are you located?

If you have queen cells on different frames I would split them up and make a new hive with some of them.

Sully