Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Easy and Simple Honey Candy

53K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  clanpattison 
#1 ·
This is a great recipe that is very easy to make for a simple honey candy. It can also be used as a throat drop in place of cough drops and works wonderfully. Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. butter

Directions

Put all the ingredients in heavy pan and cook over medium heat until it reaches the hard crack stage. Pour into a buttered cookie sheet. Fold edges of candy into middle until cool enough to pull. Pull and cut it into one inch pieces or roll in balls. Put on a greased cookie sheet. You can leave it there–or you can twist each piece in wax paper or cellophane.

#9 ·
Thanks, from the comments here, it looks like taffy rather than hard candy, does it harden well, or remain soft? I've read similar recipes that include a quantity of lemon rind so you have a honey/lemon candy. I'd like to see more recipes for hard candy that don't use sugar but still come out hard candy ..... especially with unsweetened chocolate :) (Like almond bark, etc.)

#7 ·
Made a batch of honey and butter on Friday turned out good, my wife said it has a Werther's tatse to it and doesn't care for it. Kids and grandkids all like it so what does she know. I would like to see what it tastes like with just honey so will try that next. The cooking and pulling of the taffy came out pretty good also.

#8 ·
I made some honey and butter and it was fairly good. I didn't notice any Werther's flavor to the candy. I boiled it to hard ball instead of hard crack and it was starting to burn lightly, they it wasn't very noticeable and it was still good.

Nathan

#10 ·
I have never made any type of candy before, but am intrigued by this. What does "pulling" mean? Or can someone suggest a simple set of candy directions I could look up? Thanks

#12 ·
Thank you. The pullers expression was great while working on that. I just a few minutes ago finished cleaning up after boiling down my first sap run. Candy seems like it might be a lot of work after the weekend I had, but it does sound like a fun hing to try!

#13 ·
When I was a kid, we pulled taffy every year as a youth-group project .... it took two people to pull, rather than the video shown above - the closest I can come to it on you-tube is shown in this video .... imagine the hook on the wall is the other person pulling against you .... it was always a fun party, and the taffy was the prize!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=pG_ODwERWtE&NR=1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.