Thread: Dead pupa?

Default Dead pupa?

New to beekeeping and have a question. I've notice the past few days that I've seen dead pupa in front of the hive it's not a lot probably like one to three each day is this normal or should I be worried about it?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Dead pupa?

How strong is the hive, May bee cleaning chilled brood after a cold night if theres not enough to keep the brood warm.

I just started it about four weeks ago I don't think its chilled brood as its been in the mid to high 80's during the day four almost two weeks and in the upper to mid 60's at night

the bees could be pulling the diseased pupa,2 or 3 a day i wldn't worry to much,but i would look for varroa or other disease problems,how old is the hive? is the queen laying good?

I looked at pictures of chalk brood and the pupa dont look like any of the pictures the hive doesn't smells earthy like a normal hive or at least it smells like it so I don't think it's AFB or EFB the pupa that I find on the ground look like nice healthy pupa from all the pictures I've looked at the queen is laying nicely and the hive will be four weeks on Tuesday

sorry i lead you in wrong direction ,i was referring to disease from varroa not afb,i'm just thinkin your bees sense the dead pupa from mite infestation and there culling it,like your bees are varroa sensitive.it's a great trait to have,just make sure u don't have a varroa problem.

I'll check for varroa next hive inspection is there anything else it could be do pupa die for no reason? Or do they die only when something is wrong?