Thread: Swarm cells?

Default Swarm cells?

This is a new hive, package installed April 1. I'm a newbee to ... bees; it's my first hive. I'm located in central MA. Is it possible already to see swarm cells, possibly capped? Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gudlyf/...in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gudlyf/...in/photostream

The local bee expert looked at the photos and told me they are supercedure cells, not swarm cells, and I should probably go cut them out. Should I go about getting in there ASAP and breaking them off? In the meantime, I've installed a slotted bottom board during the above pics, to see if that will help matters at all. It looks like there's quite a bit of worker brood, and I'm not sure if those darker cells are a problem or not. Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: Swarm cells?

I would remove them ASAP. They could be false also. They are located right in the middle of some drone cells. Remove them and then keep an eye on the hive, checking them once a week to see if more develop. They may be wishing to replace(supercedure) the current queen as they make have detected some flaw in her.

The bees think they need a new queen. I would let them supersede.

Can someone tell me why that's a supersedure cell and not a swam cell? Beekeeping class always told us that a cell like that on the very botton of the board is a swarm cell.
    Last edited by Gudlyf; 04-29-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Here's a good thread on the location of cells issue: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...+cell+location

There are a lot more variables than simply location.

Because it was turned into a queen cell, not a planned cup that the queen put the egg in
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY

Both swarm and supersedure cells are plannned, it's emergency cells that are not planned.

Trying to cull swarm/supersedure cells is an exercise in futility IMO. It's a rare case that you will out maneuver the bees and change their mind once they've started down this path. Better to work with it and plan a split. Or not.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Both swarm and supersedure cells are plannned, it's emergency cells that are not planned.
    Right, and when one tries to remove the first two, they end up with emergency cells!!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Gudlyf View Post
    The local bee expert looked at the photos and told me they are supercedure cells, not swarm cells, ...
    The things that makes these supercedure cells is that they were made by the workers from worker cells and worker eggs. The cells were modified by the worker bees and the young larvae was fed more royal jelly. This is not unusual w/ package bees.

I would not destroy all of these cells. But some of them would be okay.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Planned? What do you mean? What is the difference between emergency cells and supercedure cells?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Correct me if I'm wrong but supersedure and emergency cell both started as worker cells did they not ? Swarm cells start as cups that the queens lay the eggs into no matter where they are located.
    Poppy's Bees, Queens, and Honey
    Mammoth Cave, KY